Select to view content in your preferred language

PullData() not working after adding data to csv & Republishing survey in Survey123 Connect

01-10-2024 01:10 AM
LucieS
by
New Contributor II

One of our live surveys currently uses an external csv to pull in additional data, based on a select_one_from_file in a previous question.

We recently updated the extrenal choice list csv with additional options, and also added associated info to the other csv which is being used to pull in data into the form.

There now seems to be an issue with the pull data function not working for the new options that were recently added to the exteral choice list. We're seeing survey responses come in for sites that weren't originally on the choice list- which I think confirms the operatives are using  the latest version. However, the additional data is only being pulled through for the sites that were available in the choice list originally.

Looks like there may have been issues with this in the past but wasnt able to find a resolution so just thought I'd ask in case there's been any movement on this since 2021.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

3 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For me this is almost always secret hidden special characters.  Often line breaks.  In excel right click then formatting I think then check on word wrap and see if anything goes to a double line.  Next look at the csv in notepad and special chars should jump out at you.  Even things like those fancy quotes can get you.  We have users copy paste from PDF books and I get this all the time.

Also of course make sure the case on the file name is exact and the case of all your column names is exact.

Hope that does it.

LucieS
by
New Contributor II

Hi Doug,

thanks very much for your response, that's v helpful! 😊

Lucie

AnthonyCorcoran1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I had the same problem, the issue is with the CSV used for the pulldata not getting updated when the survey is republished.

I got round this by renaming the CSV and updating the name in the pulldata columns in the survey design excel. This forces an update and should allow the new data values to be pulled through on the device.

0 Kudos