Opening Survey123 url on Android Phones

Jump to solution
02-16-2018 12:30 AM
ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

I have authored a survey for use within my organization. But none of the users have an ESRI account. Even though using the custom url scheme for the survey link, according to https://community.esri.com/thread/185484-open-survey123-survey-using-a-custom-url, users have repeatedly failed to download the survey on their mobile phones. Android phones do not support Deep Linking to url's for opening a hyperlink. Once users click on the url, they are taken to Survey123 dialog box where it asks them to log in. But users who do not have an Esri account cannot log in and thus cannot download and access surveys.

While Esri is still working on this problem to incorporate this within Andriod, is there a workaround to this problem so users can be distributed the url's to access the surveys?

Any help in this direction will greatly be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If they are getting a login screen, can you double-check the permissions of the form and feature service/submitter view?  That should be the only reason they should still see the login screen. 

As a test, can you try to access https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/97795a222f98497581a6ec71155b0d13?open=native&field:stationid=3123... 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

Doesn't anybody want to answer this question? I request the community look at my issue. This was posted Feb 16th, and still not one response. I'm having a hard time distributing the survey I've created on Android phones. Please someone help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Maneesh,

Between the weekend and a national holiday in the U.S., activity in the forum was probably significantly less than normal.  Yes, application URLs do not work on many android devices.  This is addressed by using the URL provided by the 'Collaborate' page - set it to 'Open in Device' and add the parameters that you placed on the URL.

0 Kudos
ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

Thanks for replying James. Unfortunately, I tried that already, still it doesn't work. Users are taken to a log in screen asking them to log in. This issue is killing me. I can't find a solution or workaround to this problem. I've already shown the survey demo to my colleagues on Survey123 Connect, now I can't give them a url to access the survey on their android phones.

Any more suggestions? Please help.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

If they are getting a login screen, can you double-check the permissions of the form and feature service/submitter view?  That should be the only reason they should still see the login screen. 

As a test, can you try to access https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/97795a222f98497581a6ec71155b0d13?open=native&field:stationid=3123... 

ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

Hey, thanks James, that link worked fine on Android. I tried it with a couple of colleagues in the office and it worked like a charm. Now, the only thing left to do is test out my own survey. What should be added to the link generated for my survey? Where did you get that >>>>> &field:stationid=31236&center=38.90774,-7…  field from after the '?open=native' line in the link above?

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Maneesh,

the link can be broken down as follows:

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share  This bit is always the same

/97795a222f98497581a6ec71155b0d13  This part indicates what survey specifically must be open. This long string represents a unique ID for your survey in ArcGIS.  The id is automatically generated by Survey123 and you have no control over it. You need to replace this bit with the unique ID of your survey

?open=native   This part is optional and indicates that your survey must be open by the Survey123 mobile app. If the app is not installed, the link will fail to open.   If this bit is not included in the URL, then the survey will open within a web browser.

&field:stationid=31236&center=38.90774,-77.071652   These parameters are ALSO optional. You do not need them unless you want to prepopulate questions in the survey or center the map at a particular location.  You can learn more about these parameters here https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

From a practical perspective, you should get the link from the Collaborate page in the survey123 website. That is the easiest and more reliable way to get the link.  Controlling the sharing through the Collaborate tab is also the safest way to ensure that both your Form and corresponding Hosted Layer View are shared appropriately.   More details here: Share survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Thanks.

ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

Thanks for replying Ismael. Is there a special setting for the permissions to open a survey? Because I was able to open James' survey by just copying the link he shared here with all of my office colleagues and they could open it straight away on their Android phones with Survey123 WITHOUT them receiving a sign in message. But Ismael described above, even though carefully generating the survey link from the Collaborate page, did not work neither for me nor anyone else. It always asks users to sign in to download and use the survey. This has been a major problem for me since the beginning I created and published the survey. I cannot get users to open the survey on their Android phones. Whereas James' survey opened right away, mine keeps asking users to log in.

Is there a special setting somewhere which is going wrong for me??

Please help.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Maneesh,

The survey that a shared the link for has been shared via the Collaborate tab with everyone - it is a publicly accessible survey.  If your survey is not publicly accessible, you will need to share the survey to either your ArcGIS organization or a group within the ArcGIS organization.  The people you share the survey with will need logins to your ArcGIS organization as well.

deleted-user-8UflVNK6jyNT
New Contributor II

My organization has been struggling to get this integration to work as well.  One HUGE problem though; in the Google Play store on Android the latest version of the Explorer App is 10.2.10!  The only way I've successfully deployed the Explorer App to a device and had it pass the URL from Explorer to Survey 123 is because I'm in the Beta program and have access to 18.1.0 version of the App.  The Apple store is updated, why not Google?  And when will the newer version be available in the Google Play store?  Information is greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

0 Kudos