Making a label that doesnt take up a line on the survey

03-22-2018 02:52 AM
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

I have in quite a few of my surveys seen the need to have a question label that renders completely empty without taking up a space on the survey layout - usually a note field where my calculation already has dynamic headers etc. I usually just put </> to make the "compiler" happy but that still creates an empty line on the survey layout. Is there any way to stop that empty line from appearing on the survey?

Tags (2)
4 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Deon,

It's not possible to omit the label of a question - per the XForm specification (which XLSForm is based off of), the label element is required.  We can look into making the formatting not enforce a line break, possibly as an appearance, in the future.

If possible, could you share some examples of these questions?  It may be that they would be better addressed through other enhancements; for example, there is already an 'acknowledge' question that we have yet to implement that looks like what you describe - a question without a separate label (in that case, the label would become the only choice for a question's text).

HI,

Although the answer was given a long time ago, I have now encountered a situation where it is really required that there be no label, I will try to describe it as best I can.

I created a survey that uses the Grid theme, followed your example within the Survey123Connect called "Grid style groups" .

In order to be able to create multicolumn layout especially with "repeat" , you must add a "begin group" inside the "begin repeat" as shown in the example (excel row 29 and 30).

Note that if you try to save it will prompt an error saying, "Question has no lable u'begin group'".

I can still publish the survey and is works ok.

my question is, can I go ahead and work like this ? since  the other option is to put something in the label witch  creates an empty line on the survey layout.

hope to hear from you soon 

iris  hadar

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Iris,

I don't think you need an empty group for this - the repeat itself is a group and can have the 'wX' layout specifier.  

0 Kudos

Hi, 

I did not find any other way to do so .

I opend a question about this

specific:

Question about theme-grid 

0 Kudos