Fieldworks and Stakeholders

12-18-2018 09:40 AM
AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

I am helping an education group at a large library to use Survey123. They have had students do a major data collection project. With the new release, it appears they now have a "fieldworker" and "stakeholder" (feature service?) layer in ArcGIS Online Contents. I would like to read up on how the levels in the new release are used and any other specifics (best practices) I can glean about the new release as I help others. Thank you! Ismael Chivite

0 Kudos
11 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Anita. The FieldWorker and Stakeholder Feature Layer Views are created and managed by Survey123 to allow fine grained secure access to your data. Feature Layer Views are not new as they were implemented in late  2015. You can learn more about them at Getting started with hosted feature layer views   Survey123 has been using Feature Layer Views for a very long time.

When you publish a new survey, Survey123 will always create a corresponding Feature Layer. The Feature Layer is used to store the data  captured from your  survey.  If using Survey123 Web Designer to publish your  survey, a Feature  Layer  View will ALSO be created automatically. This Feature Layer View has certain privileges, such as DELETE, disabled. This is to make your data  more secure  when you share it with users.  Additionally, if you share the results of your survey  (see Share survey results—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  ) the stakeholder view  will be created for you.

I strongly recommend that you let  the Survey123 website handle your views. You technically can manipulate the views through the arcgis.com website, but you can get  in trouble quick... You should not move the views around (away from the Survey123  folder, modify the sharing properties etc).

Using Feature  Layer  Views is important to keep your data safe. If  you were  to share your Feature Layer directly, you cannot set different permissions for your people who need to look at your data and for those that need to add data. For example: Sometimes you want to share your survey publicly, so anyone can submit data, but you want to keep your data safe against queries.   Views help you because you can use one view (FieldWorker) to enable ADD permissions, and another view (Stakeholder) to enable query access.  You will share the FieldWorker and StakHolder Views with different groups of people.

If you are publishing a survey from Survey123 Connect, you will notice that no FieldWorker Hosted  Layer  View will be created. This is because Survey123 Connect surveys are shared with FieldWorkers using the raw Feature Layer.  This is something that we would like to change in the future, because Hosted Layer  Views are  a good thing.

AnitaPalmer1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Ismael,

Thank you for your detailed response. I was going to say that much to my chagrin, I never noticed "fieldworker" and "stakeholder" but actually, I just went back and looked at the ten surveys I have created and only one of them actually has a feature service that includes "fieldworker." The balance have neither fieldworker or stakeholder included in the feature service name. So in referring to the links you sent, it appears that by sharing "Everyone" to Public it not only allows the Public to submit data to the survey as is indicated BUT it also allows the Public to see the results AND thusly creates a Shareholder feature service. That is the information I was looking for with the metadata reading I initially requested. It is a nuance I have missed so thanks again for your response. I am still not quite sure which one of the feature services I should have them edit (answers only) which I assume is fine since you provide the opportunity within AGO?

I probably should put this in a new question but will ask quickly, is there a reason when a survey data is downloaded that survey questions that are provided in a Dropdown format, show up as Choice0, Choice1, Choice 2 etc. rather than the actual answer that is that choice? The data table is correct with the answers eg. Health, Transportation, Housing etc. It is the downloaded table that has the Choice 0 in the field.

Thank you again!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We're having this issue too. Esri is claiming these views have been used for over a year, but we've never seen it until the last couple months. Something isn't adding up here.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nathan,

The fieldworker and stakeholder views were introduced in version 1.10 in December 2016 (see https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/12/20/international-human-solidarity-day-relea... ).  One reason you may not have noticed them is that they are only created via the Survey123 website - Survey123 Connect does not create views on publishing.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks James. So why are views being created on some surveys my users publish but not others? Like I said, this is causing some confusion as we've only recently started seeing them, even though they have been used on the web side for 2 years. We haven't seen them until the last few months. I've gotten several calls asking what they do, and since I hadn't seen them before I wasn't sure. Now that I've read up on them and why they are being created, it does make sense. Just not why they show up on some and not on others. I did a test and it appears depending on how a survey is shared, the views are created.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nathan,

I just replied to your other post, hope this helps explain it better: https://community.esri.com/message/838625-re-other-peoples-surveys-appear-in-my-account?commentID=83... 

Phil.

0 Kudos
VincentRobinson
New Contributor III

Hi Ismael 

I have a Question regarding Stakeholer feature.

I published a survey about a month ago, based off an existing survey I previously published. I have checked all of the settings for both viewer and submitter (survey 123), they identical to the first survey's settings I published which works fine, the second survey however, viewers are unable to view the records (there should be 17 in total). I have noticed that in the folder on our portal in my content which the information is stored (feature class hosted & feature class ect) the feature class labeled stake_holder has no data but the feature class has data as apposed to the original survey its based on. Not sure if that has something to do with the stake_holders function.  Can some explain whats going on please.

thanks.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Vincent,

I believe you asked this question also at https://community.esri.com/message/921839-problem-with-survey-123-viewer-unable-to-see-records , correct?

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi all--

I have a survey that I have been using for instructional purposes for several years.  I want to improve the dashboard based on the survey, but to do that, I need a stakeholder view.  I do not have a stakeholder view layer in My Content.  I tried using the procedures to https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm  create a hosted view, but that did not work.  How can I create a fieldworker view from my feature layer?  Thank you. 

0 Kudos