Select to view content in your preferred language

Converting numbers to words

2 weeks ago
JHarrison
New Contributor

Good day, is there a way to display numbers (weather calculated or entered) as words? For example, if the user puts 3500 a next likne will display three thousand five hundred.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ToddW_stl
Esri Contributor

Do you know the range of numbers expected?  If relatively short and simple, maybe an external choice list would work.

If it's more complex with a wide range of numbers, I'd find the smartest developer I know and see if we could get the Python or Javascript to work from here. 

Interesting problem, good luck with it!  Please report your results back here if/when you figure it out!

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Short answer is "no".

Longer answer, see @ToddW_stl post.

Should be asked: Do you really need words? I ask because I had a similar issue where our templates had written out numbers. Our reports are technical reports that end up in the hands of banks for financing, large corporations, and small "mom and pop" owners. They are professional reports, and we tend to follow proper grammar, writing styles, etc. Point is, the time and effort required to get written words vs just tossing in the number wasn't worth it from a financial or practical standpoint, and the drawback of not following "proper grammar guidelines" was inconsequential in our case. End result, raw numbers. Again, we write technical reports, and in our case it made sense. Only you know your business needs, but I thought I would at least bring it up as an option.