access to help videos

Jump to solution
04-08-2022 12:12 PM
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

We are about to roll out some surveys and we've created some small instructional videos on various aspects of the surveys.  These are approx 2-5 MB in size.  I was wondering if it would be possible to do the following:

1) have the video automatically download when the survey is downloaded (i.e. perhaps load it into the survey media folder - not sure if that would do it)?  

2) have links in the survey (perhaps in a note field) that references each video from the media folder.  when you click on the link it runs the video on the device.

If these are both possible, is there a technique to reference the media folder or where ever it is loaded such that it would work with the survey on Windows, Android, iOS ?

If this is not reasonably possible, if you have any thoughts on how to do this please advise.

Thanks for any input, BKS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi

Some time ago I did something similar, I created a link in the survey to a PDF file that has been placed inside the media folder of the survey. You could possibly do the same with your videos and then just build a URL link to the file:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/html-links-for-survey123-to-just-about-anything/...

Check the section: Open a local file (such as a PDF help file or an image located in your survey's media folder) from Survey123 - this works and has been tested on Android

Hope that helps

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PetronilaMandeno
Occasional Contributor II

Personally, I would just host the videos on YouTube and put links to those videos in the 'hint' text. That way, you don't have to worry about folks having to download some massive video files that are embedded in the survey.

0 Kudos
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

@PetronilaMandeno thanks for the ideas.  If these videos were large or if the users had internet access frequently, then that would be the way I would go.  But these users are often offline due to remoteness and the videos are only about 2-5 MB in size.

0 Kudos
DeonLengton
Esri Contributor

Hi

Some time ago I did something similar, I created a link in the survey to a PDF file that has been placed inside the media folder of the survey. You could possibly do the same with your videos and then just build a URL link to the file:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/html-links-for-survey123-to-just-about-anything/...

Check the section: Open a local file (such as a PDF help file or an image located in your survey's media folder) from Survey123 - this works and has been tested on Android

Hope that helps

Regards

BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

@DeonLengton thanks so much.  That blog gave me some great ideas and I'm using your PDF file solution for my short videos.  It's unfortunate there's no "variable" I could access instead of hardwiring the path to our Windows devices (not android).  If so, perhaps I could have made it work on any device's "media" folder.  

I do have a question for you though.  I loaded the video in the media folder, published the survey (which creates the item id) with S123 Connect, updated the note label to refer to the disk location that includes the item id.  Then published again.  Finally I used the Windows S123 Field App to download the survey and it works as expected.   

QUESTION - when I publish the survey from Connect, does it include the contents of the media folder?  and if so, where does it do this?  I did not see it anywhere in AGOL?

Thanks again, BKS

0 Kudos