Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow Viewers with "View and Export Data" the ability to Export Survey

08-23-2023 12:22 PM
RyanBohan
Regular Contributor

I have users in the group added to be able to View Survey results, with the ability to "View and Export Data".  Only they get the error "You do not have permission to perform this action. Required privilege: create content."

RyanBohan_0-1692814970326.png

Checking the Sharing settings, they have the correct permissions in the survey to export, "View and export data".  Only that is not true, it appears they also have to be a Creator.

Unless I am missing something they are not creating anything in AGO/Portal just downloading the data.

• Perhaps an asterisk should be added that Creator is required to download content locally. 
  • Or remove the Creator requirement and anyone with permission to View and export data, could do so.

RyanBohan_1-1692817797975.png

I found this useful chart, only we would rather not have to bump a user looking to export data from a survey to a Creator.  Are creator licenses are limited.

RyanBohan_2-1692818004058.png

5 Comments
DougBrowning

This was posted back in 2019 it looks like  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/export-data-in-survey123-as-a-non-creator/t... 

This happens to me a lot when using the Export button in AGOL on a layer.  The issue is the way AGOL does it.  When you export it creates an item, then you download that item.  That is why it has to be a creator.   I think I have seen this posted in AGOL board a few times but cant find it.

DougBrowning_0-1692820916233.png

That means this is a AGOL issue not a 123 issue and I am not sure they can do anything about it.

Looks like it used to even need publisher

BUG-000120077 Unable to export data from Survey123 website when logged in as a member having 'User' Role and ‘Creator’ User Type.

I think you would have to get AGOL to change its rules so you can try posting there.

Not what you want to hear but I hope it helps.

RyanBohan

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the thoughts.  As far as I can tell when you export from the Survey123 Website using the Export dropdown.  It does not create a layer/table on AGO/Portal. 

I fully get what you mean if you're using the Export Data directly on a feature layer, however the Survey123 Website, seems to handle things a little differently.

Export changes to Exporting...

RyanBohan_0-1692826072595.png

Next a file shows up locally in your machines default download folder.  (no need to specify a path/name, it just shows up)

RyanBohan_1-1692826397709.png

While ideally, I would like anyone classified as a viewer to a survey to be able to View and Export data.  As the radial button implies, if that is not possible, adding a note that exporting requires Creator User type, would be super helpful.

RyanBohan_2-1692826753929.png

erica_poisson

I agree that if the data is shared with you in a group, any group member regardless of user type, should be able to download the data to use locally. This should NEVER require a Creator-level account. 

RyanBohan

It came about, from setting up a survey for a department, and got a list of five viewers that wanted access to the results.  And I told them the Survey share was configured so they could all now view and export the data

As they are not creators, when they tried to export, they could not.  Which means we had to rethink how they would be able to export the data and share within the group.

EricAndersen1

Great idea, @RyanBohan, you outlined perfectly the issue.  

I would like to see this functionality in place so that we do not have to use up Creator roles for users who only conduct field work.  I'm surprised there has been no input from Esri on this issue, other than the notes from the post in 2019.

A workaround is to bring survey results into PowerBI and give users access to the PowerBI report.  We try to avoid the Survey123 web data interface as much as possible.