Signatures!

08-23-2015 02:51 PM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
6 18 11.8K

The content of this blog has now been refreshed and republished here.

18 Comments
Ariana_Toth
New Contributor II

Is there a way to control the size of the box?

What I really need is a place for field inspectors to draw a small sketch. (Photos are great but are not always possible.) The signature box is formatted for what I need to accomplish, but it would be great to have the option to click on that "question" and have the box expand to a full or half screen of the tablet for drawing. This is a functionality that I would love to see added.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ariana,

this functionality is planned although we do not have a milestone assigned for this at the moment.

Feel free to add a +1 to this issue: Signature Box Expansion to Sketch Box · Issue #168 · Esri/Survey123Community · GitHub   and reference this discussion thread.

Thanks,

Ismael

JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III

I am very interested in this capability. It seems this has been on radar for quite some time. Is there any plan when this might be implemented?

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jarom Hlebasko. Yes, this is planned.

• First, we would like to enable sketching on a white canvas, kind of like expanding the existing signature experience into a larger drawing area and adding some additional options to change the ink color.
  • We are also looking at allowing the survey author to predefine a default background image in the canvas, so people can annotate on top of a diagram or photo for example.
  • Finally, we are also considering allowing the configuration of the sketch widget in the survey so the sketches can be applied on top of a photo the field user may take.

This is one of these fun projects that unfortunately we had to push back so we could address other not to exciting but important features.

ToddHalvorson
New Contributor II

The 3 items you listed are exactly what I am trying to do Ismael - freelance sketching, sketching on diagrams and photo notes.  Some what similar to what one can do on Explorer.

RachelCrews
New Contributor II

Is there a way to get the signature box to work in the web app?

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

HI Rachel. Not at the moment. Signatures only work in the mobile app.

ChristopherRodgers
New Contributor II

I am noticing that the signatures are being cropped when they are stored as JPG. See the screenshot from viewing the signature in the Survey123 website:

Stephen_Zetterberg
New Contributor

I am having the same problem when I enter a signature on my iPhone. Only a very small portion of the signature in the signature box appears in the jpeg image. ichivite-esristaff

RogerMesen-Delgado
Occasional Contributor

Hello, is this functionality implemented already or is in development process? Thanks.

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Roger,

This was introduced in v. 2.4- use either the draw or annotate appearance on an image question.  See Appearance—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for more information

MatthewWilchek1
New Contributor

Is there a way to export signatures as a .jpg or .png file, when you go to export the data from the survey? I noticed it seems to only export all other fields but files/attachments in the zip file. Thanks!

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

Signatures are stored as attachments - they can be extracted once exported as a file geodatabase.  How To: Batch export attachments from a feature class provides instructions on doing this.

WesleyCollins
New Contributor II

We are having trouble getting our signatures on a survey to export into our report. The feature services we are calling from are on a server rather than stored on AGOL. This seems to be a recurring issue, are there any solutions to this? I have constructed a pretty large report that all works except for the signature. I am going to have to go through web app builder is I cannot get this signature to generate.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Wesley Collins‌  This is a known limitation in ArcGIS Enterprise. Refer to https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2019/07/23/understanding-survey123-feature-reports (Enterprise section) for details.  We have an official Enhancement Request logged for this under the ArcGIS Enterprise product. You can ask Esri Technical Support to add your customer number to this ENH to help raise priority.

ENH-000125371 Support keyword attachment columns into ArcGIS Enterprise so that survey photo attachments can be printed when generating reports from an ArcGIS Enterprise feature service.
WesleyCollins
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply Ismael

Peters_Amy
Occasional Contributor

Ismael, 

Is this still the case?  Have a customer who wants to do a signature in the web browser while filling out a survey.

Thanks,

Amy

DaveAlmond
New Contributor III

@IsmaelChivite @JamesTedrick Is it possible to calculate an image field using images stored in the survey's Media folder, through URL parameters or other method?

I'm capturing signed in users with a Username field and implementing logic to expose permit review questions to credentialed users to edit existing survey data (permit applications).  Ultimately I would like to populate an image question with a saved signature image based on who is signed in so I can auto-apply it to the survey's Feature Report template to replace a wet signature and automate permit generation/issuance. 

We cannot use the Signature type input question due to device constraints, but if I can ensure credentialed access to the question that instantiates the signature calculation, I think that would work.  I tried using pulldata() to reference a test image in the media folder, but I couldn't get that to work. My next thought was the media::image column on the choices sheet, but I haven't gotten that far. 

Cheers,

DA