Web Map is not loading when adjusting map appearance in Story Map

Jump to solution
10-25-2023 05:49 PM
Labels (2)
zhenghan
New Contributor II

I have been working on a storymap item. Since this evening, none of the web maps were loading when I tried to edit the map frame although the layer items are showing up properly to the left. Does it occur to anyone else?

zhenghan_1-1698281201576.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you to everyone who has reported this issue. We have determined the cause of the issue and have also found several workarounds. Please see this announcement for details:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Issue with some maps not loading - Esri Community

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @zhenghan ,

My guess is that there are so many layers that the map is taking a long time to load the map. How long are you waiting on the map options to see the map? If this map is shared publicly, feel free to send it my way and I can let you know what I see when trying to add it on my end.

--Abby

0 Kudos
zhenghan
New Contributor II

Several web maps have around a dozen layers, but when I open in Map Viewer, it doesn't take more than a second to load. ArcGIS Dashboard doesn't have trouble loading the same map either. It is really just I cannot load the web map when I try to insert the web map from ArcGIS Story Map editing mode.

Several web maps were created before yesterday. This hasn't been an issue until yesterday evening.

Thanks for offering to look into this. Unfortunately, the content is not for sharing to the public, so I am not allowed to drop the link here for you to test.

0 Kudos
KalinDrennen
New Contributor

I have been experiencing this same issue, just starting today as well.

Now, it has advanced to the point where I'm not even able to open it to edit...

KalinDrennen_0-1698341758736.png

REALLY hoping this can be resolved!

0 Kudos
zhenghan
New Contributor II

Just to clarify, my issue is slightly different. I was able to go inside the edit mode and do all the none-map-related edits, but the maps never load.

Below paragraphs are off the topic. I do think your issue is a valuable topic for another thread because it has been bothering me too.

I ran into the issue a lot lately. This is very frustrating because when I ran into this, it basically means I won't be able to access this anymore and I have to start over. One time, I got lucky as I was still able to duplicate the story when I am in the reading mode. When I clicked duplicate button from top, it sent me directly into the edit mode. However, most of the time, duplicate action led to the same page as your screenshot. 

After running into this for a few times, I kinda figure out what triggers it (at least in my case). 

What happened to me was that my story has a lot of map actions which refer to certain bookmarks I created in web maps. I noticed that whenever I published my story with a bookmark links broken (due to the removal of bookmark or web map), I won't be able to go back to edit mode. For example, if I set up a slide with bunch of working map actions. Then I decided to remove the web map for the time being and come back later. If I publish the story map with map removed but without those map actions removed, I am 100% running into an error when I try to edit the published story later.

After that, I have been extremely cautions with map action and back up story map draft once in a while. Every time I discovered that I need to make change to a web maps which involves removing a layer that's being used, I make sure I fix all the map actions before I publish it again. If I must publish the story for the moment with some web map changes to be taken care of later, I would just remove all the map action for the time and added them back later. 

I think this needs to be fixed. We should be allowed to have broken map action when we try to edit the story. Otherwise, please don't let us save our story if Esri detects anything that would trigger this event. As I mentioned, since we cannot edit the story to fix the error, that piece of project is trapped and I had to recreate the whole thing again. 

0 Kudos
KalinDrennen
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply and apologies for the off-topic content.

I also am experiencing your issue though, originally with my broken item and also with another item, where my web maps aren't loading (gray screen), but I can still see the layers exactly like your screenshot.

One interesting thing to note is this is only happening with web maps (ALL web maps); images and embedded apps still load just fine.

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @zhenghan @KalinDrennen ,

The issue regarding the maps not loading in the story is a high priority issue that we are currently investigating. We will continue sharing any updates on the behavior on the Esri Community site. If you have any public URLs you are able to share showing the behavior, feel free to send them here.

Regarding the broken map actions. @zhenghan , I can take a look at this and see if I can reproduce a similar behavior using broken bookmarks. This is unexpected behavior, and we would hope you would be able to return to edit mode on a published story, even with broken links.

--Abby

0 Kudos
SIHAN
by
New Contributor II

Hello Abby,

Some of the online maps and the map tours also do not show in my storymap. Could you help me check it please? Thank you very much!

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/cdcf2518e14d488fada5e18f94dbfd71

Sihan

AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Thank you for providing this @SIHAN, we will continue to update as we look into this behavior.

--Abby

0 Kudos
GlobalHEI
New Contributor

Hi Abby,

I am also having a similar issue and am currently locked out of editing my StoryMap at all. It stopped working on Chrome yesterday but was working on edge. Unfortunately I am now not able to edit on either browser and my Web Maps no longer load. 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/22c1bea238e04a78866aeb67d9a34daa 

0 Kudos