Sharing ArcGIS StoryMaps with Groups

Jump to solution
07-26-2019 08:53 AM
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

Is sharing a 'new' ArcGIS StoryMap with an ArcGIS Online Group possible? If not, is this functionality expected soon? 

It seems sharing story maps created with the new builder is possible only with the Organization and publicly. 

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

I managed to figure this out.  You can share the new story map types created with the new builder to an AGOL group by selecting the check box in the AGOL contents for that story map item.  Doing so brings up the Share icon which you can then use to share the storymap with AGOL groups.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

I managed to figure this out.  You can share the new story map types created with the new builder to an AGOL group by selecting the check box in the AGOL contents for that story map item.  Doing so brings up the Share icon which you can then use to share the storymap with AGOL groups.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Tony -- Yup, that will do it! You can also go to the Content tab of the group page and click "Add item to group" and select the story you want to share to the group. But before sharing a story to a group you must make sure:

• The story is already published, either to Everyone or your Org.
  • You also have shared any maps, scenes, and layers used in the story to the same group.

If you don't do both of these things before sharing the story to a group, the members of your group will have problems accessing your story.

We're looking into providing the capability of easily sharing a story directly/only to groups from the story builder in a future release.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

Thanks Owen Evans for pointing out that additional approach to sharing the new ArcGIS StoryMaps with AGOL groups. Most folks where I work, including myself, lack the permission to share content with the organization or externally with everyone.  So, if you're looking to improve StoryMaps capabilities, I would suggest also adding the ability to publish to AGOL groups.

Tony

TonyViveiros1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Owen Evans.  I was disappointed that the August 2019 update to ArcGIS StoryMaps did not include the ability to publish to groups.  This is a major issue because few individuals in our organization have the permissions to publish with everyone or within the organization; and the bureaucracy required to make that happen is considerable and can drag on for weeks.  When can the ability to publish ArcGIS StoryMaps to groups be expected?

Thanks.

Tony

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Tony. I'm sorry this current limitation is affecting you and your colleagues. While we are planning to support group-based workflows and build a great experience for collaborating with others in your organization, I don't have a date to share for when the ability to publish stories only to a group might be available in the new ArcGIS StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
TonyViveiros
New Contributor III

Hello Owen Evans‌.  Is is fair to say that the ability to publish the new ArcGIS StoryMaps to groups will exist before mid-2020, when the ability to use the classic Story Maps templates ends

Thanks.

Tony

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, before then would be our goal. 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1
Occasional Contributor II

I would assume that the ability to share a story to a group would include the ability to publish that story only to a group?  It seems to me that "publishing" should be completely independent of where the story is shared.  My interpretation is that "publishing" is really just the means of moving from a draft version to a published version for the audience.  The "sharing" would indicate who could view the "published" story.  Am I interpreting that correctly?

Heath

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Heath -- Yep! You are correct.

The ability to publish a story to a group was added in the last update to ArcGIS StoryMaps, so you are able to do this now, if you need to. For more info see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (January 2020).

Owen Evans
0 Kudos