Mouse Wheel Zoom

12-23-2020 10:47 AM
DustinSchiffer
New Contributor

Hello,

I have been working with the new StoryMaps since launch, and have been quite happy with it. Unfortunately, I have a director breathing down my neck over the simple ability to be able to zoom in and out using either the mouse, or potentially if there is a key combination that works.

I've spent a year rebuilding a terrible project that I had inherited. Rebuilt everything from the ground up, layer by layer, polygon by polygon. I was quite happy with how it came out, and so was my director... but it seems that this simple feature is now a make or break for the entire project. I have tried explaining to him that ESRI removed the functionality due to embedding issues, looked for alternatives, rebuilt it in the old StoryMaps (which I got written up for, because it looked like it was made 10 years ago, which I explained the entire time while making it). Are there any work arounds or shortcut keys that could allow this functionality?

Tags (3)
6 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@DustinSchiffer -- Sorry to hear about this. Could you be more specific about where the mouse wheel isn't working and provide some more detail? Is this in a map or possibly an embedded app? Do you have a screenshot to illustrate where/why this is an issue or could you share a link to the story (if it's public)?

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AlexRudowski
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue.

I don't see any new posts from the original poster. I hope he hasn't been written up again, or even better, I hope he found a better manager. *sad face*

Attached is the video showing the same issues I'm having with an embedded map in one of our story maps. I'm able to pan and use the zoom buttons in the lower right but when I try to zoom using the mouse wheel or trackpad nothing happens.

Here's a link to our story map:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/840f3c0a228e4302a6d9f7fe2937d4ed

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @AlexRudowski -- This is expected. For maps added directly to the story scroll-zoom is disabled. This is because it can lead to a confusing experience with unexpected results for readers. For example, imaging you are scrolling through the story and a map comes into view. As the map passes under your mouse your scroll down the page stops and gets transferred to the map and all of a sudden you've zoomed way out to the world extent on the map that you haven't even had time to process yet.

If there is some specific interaction you need your readers to do with a map, I'd recommend looking at map actions and map choreography. These techniques both minimize the need for your readers to interact with the map themselves and make your story a more directed, simple experience.

If you use the Embed option to add a web mapping app to a story, then readers can use scroll-zoom in that case, but they are required to click on the embed before interaction is enabled.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Owen Evans
AlexRudowski
New Contributor III

Thanks for getting back to me. I made the app and embedded it in the story map and it works great! I understand what your saying about it messing with the page navigation. However, the moment the user clicks the button to expand the map to full screen there shouldn't be any doubt about what they're intending to accomplish by rolling that mouse wheel forward or backward, which is essentially the same workflow you suggested.

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
Thomas1
Occasional Contributor

Hi @OwenGeo ,

As you write, with embed map we can let the readers  use scroll-zoom ("Click anywhere to interact"). This is great and works fine. It would be great to have the same possibility with maps added directly in the story.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the additional feedback. We could certainly look at enabling zoom in full-screen mode for maps, we just haven't prioritized that at this time. That might be a good thing to post in our ideas board so others can vote for it for future consideration.

Owen Evans