ArcGIS Story Map Requests and Issues

08-06-2019 10:14 AM
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hey Story Maps Team, 

As always, you all are doing such a great job building out this brand new template. While working with the new template after the UC release I found some things that could be fixed and could make the new template even more powerful. In addition I recently came across this GeoNet post  by Stephanie Smith‌ which covers many of the requests that I also was going to add. I thought I would add these requests here as well. 

I would love to see the following: 

1. Increase the amount of user customization for font type, size, justification, spacing, colors, etc. in every block option and not just in the major theme settings.
  2. Ability for users to change dimensions of embedded content, if they choose, instead of being locked only to the app presets (maybe a css override option).
  3. Allow for images to "gallery" next to each other like in the cascade layout instead of only allowing stacking. 
  4. Allow for adding content to sidecar like images and videos via a url instead of only uploading from a computer.
  5. Add the ability to embed a webpage into the sidecar.
  6. Ability to add small text for credits or notes in the side car. Right now there is not a clean way to give photo, video, or map credit.
  7. Increase map setting options beyond only allowing or not allowing a legend. It would be nice to be able to choose legend placement, if you wanted a home button or other basic map options. It would also be nice to have a pop-up option that does not convert the pop-up to a table layout.
  8. Add the option to have cards that are right image/left text card instead of only a left image option.
  9. Add a credits section or WYSIWYG html block to customize your own.

Here are some additional functionality requests/ things I've noticed while working with the new Story Map template: 

Requests: (in addition to the above)

• Add in a stock photo resource in the interface (like Cascade's Unsplash) (Pixabay is also one of my favorite resources which would be awesome to have)
  • The ability to move around content sections without having to re-write or delete content. 
  • Ability to control paragraph spacing (less space between text lines).
  • Option to center text block in story. 

Issues: 

• The Undo CTRL-Z functionality doesn’t always work.
  • When using Bullet points, sometimes the formatting is wonky and glitches/ doesn't behave as most text editors do. In addition I would like to see the ability to mix bullet points and numbers or even sub bullets for a more structured option (visual organization in bullet form with hierarchy). 
  • When Copy and pasting, sometimes it doesn't work. 

Thanks for all your hard work!
    Best, 
    Amanda 
24 Replies
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

You're the best! Thanks so much for making that fix  

0 Kudos
AshleeAbrantes
New Contributor

Hello,

I continue to try to upload a 20.3MB video and receive the error stating videos must be smaller than 50MB.

Perplexed,

Ashlee

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is the ability to click images to enlarge in the works as well?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Be able to switch panel placement for individual slides within the same sidecar.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for your feedback, Bryan!

Is the ability to click images to enlarge in the works as well?

We don't have specific plans for that. Is there a reason you wouldn't just use a large size for the image if you wanted readers to see it in a large size?

Be able to switch panel placement for individual slides within the same sidecar.

Hmmm, I don't think we'd do this since the basic experience of a sidecar is that text for each slide scrolls into the same space. If you want something like that you can simply put several sidecars in sequence and alternate panel placements between them.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I mean enlarging images like you can in Journal. You can put an image in the text area of Journal and there is an option to have the image enlarge when the user selects it.

When the user clicks the image it enlarges.

This is super helpful when adding images in the text area such as tables or figures.

However in StoryMaps, when using sidecar for instance, I can put an image in but as far as I can tell there isn't an option to allow the user to enlarge the image when selecting.

Each image is a different size also but show up the same size in StoryMaps. The first image is 2560 x 1759 and the second image is 1110 x 673.

As for the being able to switch panel placement for individual slides within the same sidecar, disregard, wasn't thinking things through.

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

I agree that this would be a very beneficial functionality to have ^

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah, got it. Makes sense. We'll consider this for a future release.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cool, thanks Owen!

0 Kudos
JasonSmolinski
New Contributor III

Hello.  I use StoryMaps with my students daily.  After being used to the Expand button in the Story Map Series and in the Map Journal, I agree this feature would be a welcome return!