Hey Story Maps Team,
As always, you all are doing such a great job building out this brand new template. While working with the new template after the UC release I found some things that could be fixed and could make the new template even more powerful. In addition I recently came across this GeoNet post by Stephanie Smith which covers many of the requests that I also was going to add. I thought I would add these requests here as well.
I would love to see the following:
- Increase the amount of user customization for font type, size, justification, spacing, colors, etc. in every block option and not just in the major theme settings.
- Ability for users to change dimensions of embedded content, if they choose, instead of being locked only to the app presets (maybe a css override option).
- Allow for images to "gallery" next to each other like in the cascade layout instead of only allowing stacking.
- Allow for adding content to sidecar like images and videos via a url instead of only uploading from a computer.
- Add the ability to embed a webpage into the sidecar.
- Ability to add small text for credits or notes in the side car. Right now there is not a clean way to give photo, video, or map credit.
- Increase map setting options beyond only allowing or not allowing a legend. It would be nice to be able to choose legend placement, if you wanted a home button or other basic map options. It would also be nice to have a pop-up option that does not convert the pop-up to a table layout.
- Add the option to have cards that are right image/left text card instead of only a left image option.
- Add a credits section or WYSIWYG html block to customize your own.
Here are some additional functionality requests/ things I've noticed while working with the new Story Map template:
Requests: (in addition to the above)
Thanks for these great and thoughtful lists, Amanda! We're working on adding/addressing many of these items already, and we'll make sure to add your other suggestions to our feedback list.
Thanks Amanda for the post and Owen and the rest of the story maps team for getting on it so quickly. The new version of story maps just seems to be lacking in the customization arena, which is what I loved about the original so much. For that reason, I'm waiting for the new version to get up to speed a bit before I switch over to it. I agree with all of the suggestions being proposed and would just like to point out the ones that would be most useful to me:
I'm sure you guys have your hand's full with all of this right now, but the new addition looks great, you guys should be really proud, and I'm excited to see where you take it.
As I continue to work with my current story map I have a few more requests/issues that I thought I would add:
The ability to have embedded content span the page (similar to the current photo settings)
You can do this one already by hovering over the embed and choosing a size from the toolbar. 🙂
Have the ability to add a small photo below the float image text.
Can you provide a little more information about this one? What would you use this for? Can you share a quick sketch of what this would look like or where the small photo would go?
When uploading a portrait oriented photo the application automatically rotates it to landscape regardless of default orientation.
Can you share the image you are using? I'm not able to see this using the portrait images I'm testing.
Thanks for the speedy reply!
Am I missing something? I only see two options for embedding as a card or as an interactive embed (see image below). I was hoping for an menu similar to images where there are options for float, small, 1200px, and 2000px.
Absolutely, here's what I was thinking
Here's a link to the raw image: https://trpd.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/d13ecad290d34503a3d935e42cf4b2aa/data
I've noticed this behavior with most portrait images, not just this one. Here's what it looks like in the story map on my end vs what it should look like:
I figure I'll just keep contributing to this thread.
I recently noticed when uploading a video 49.7 MB video file I receive the error "Images must be smaller than 20 MB" but when uploading a 36.2 MB video file I receive no errors (still larger than the 20MB error message) and the video is added successfully. This is a head scratcher.
A few suggestions would be:
Thank you for the feedback! We've corrected the message to indicate that they are "videos" and the minimum file size for videos in .mp4 format are 50MB.