Why is ArcGIS PRO so slow to cancel a simple geoprocessing tool ?

07-19-2019 01:58 PM
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Anything you try to cancel in ArcGIS PRO it just gets hanging and spinning and it won't cancel quick. It seems PRO tries to finish the process before cancelling which is a HUGE waste of time and resources and you have to kill the exe and restart every time !

Example where I canceled and it's spinning for MORE than 15 MINUTES !!!

28 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are you working with a geoprocessing tool or the Explore tool to identify a feature (open its pop-up)?  

I'd recommend first working through Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro as there could be a number of issues at play (data location?) and as those steps indicate, if you've exhausted suggestions there you can contact technical support to investigate further.

Thank you

0 Kudos
MichaelLedwith
New Contributor III

Thanks for a response... any response - even if it's a few years too late.

But seriously, the fact of the matter is that AG Pro attempts to complete some part of the task at hand - a sub-process perhaps. If you're working with a large dataset, AG Pro hangs. This is something I've experienced plenty of time during the past ten years or so. And when I say "plenty" I mean dozens.

As for contacting "technical support", good luck with that. We're usually the ones that explain the solutions to ESRI support...  🙂

MichaelTomiak
New Contributor III

02/2022, a pandemic has come and gone and no resolution XD.
Any resolutions to this? @esri_uk

For context this time, I started a process of Raster Mosaic (all data is local), after starting I realised I had what I needed else where, so tried cancelling, to find it the blue circle which went on for an hour. So I just killed the .exe. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

@MichaelTomiak you mention "Raster Mosaic". Are you using the Mosaic tool, Mosaic to New Raster tool, or something else?

I just tried with Mosaic and was able to cancel the process:

KoryKramer_0-1645635549371.png

And Mosaic to New Raster:

KoryKramer_1-1645635646402.png

If you have reproducible steps that demonstrate the cancel functionality on a geoprocessing tool to not work, let us know and we can take a look. Or you could report the bug here https://support.esri.com/en/report-bug (imperative to have steps that reproduce and demonstrate the problem).

Thank you.

MichaelLedwith
New Contributor III

We naturally appreciate all "attempts" to help... I'll leave that thought there.

Seriously though, this problem has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the specific tool being used. It happens all the time irrespective of the tool or model. It might - might - have something to do with the size of the data set being processed but it just as easily could have something to do with AG Pro's incessant need to map up inordnat amounts of RAM and then not use it or release it. 

skyhook
New Contributor II

I'd like to echo what's been said. This is a chronic problem. Incredibly frustrating.... It's only like 20% of the time when I try to cancel any geoprocessing tool. This bug doesn't seem to discriminate. Big dataset, small dataset, ArcPro version, data format, etc.... Currently, "cancel" has been frozen for better part of an hour for "calculate geometry attributes" on a dozen simple polygons......

MeganBleess
New Contributor II

For what it's worth, I started at 11:45am using the import XML Workspace schema geoprocessing.  I let it run, had lunch, had a meeting and around 2:20pm I clicked cancel as it seemed hung up at 3%.  It's been canceling ever since.  It is now 5:45pm.  The XML schema is for a feature dataset with 3 feature classes.  NO DATA.  I'm going to kill Pro via Task Manager and pick up again Monday.   What a waste.  I could have drawn the files faster with crayola.

DorianneDysart
New Contributor III

Same thing in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3, going to make go make some coffee and maybe a walk around the building while its hanging   lol

JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

We ARE at version 3.0 and the speed to cancel anything seems to be getting worse.

JoabelBarbieri_0-1653426458035.png

Waiting on a split to cancel for about 20 minutes now!!!! This can't be normal ESRI. Please do something!

jyh
by
New Contributor II

Just to update this thread - cancelling geoprocessing in Pro is still a problem in April 2023.  It happens every time, no matter what tool it is, whether from a standard toolbox or ModelBuilder, or the size of the dataset.  And  Pro hangs so I can't do anything else while it's cancelling, so I often wind up using Task Manager to shut it down.  Sometimes, after a cancel actually finishes, I find that it produced output anyway.  Using Pro 3.03 now, but this has been the case with every version I've used going back to 2.1.