Select to view content in your preferred language

Uncontrolled zoom out on layout view arcgis pro

Jump to solution
02-22-2018 11:57 AM
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

I have attached a screen capture of ArcGIS Pro behavior.  In the short video I click the navigate tool (not shown) and press the shift key as it was my understanding that this would allow me to Window zoom in a part of the map that I am interested in.  Instead pressing the shift key causes the zoom of the layout to zoomout to infinity.  Why is this happening? and why would anyone want it to happen?  It is maddeningly frustrating.  similar types of behavior occur when I try to use "Select".  This behavior seems to be limited to when the Layout is the activated

I also might add that similar to ArcGIS desktop behavior requiring some combination of pressing "C" or using the Shift key to reset the current tool; I seem perpetually stuck in a rotate view behavior that pressing "C" or "shift" doesn't seem  to fix.  

35 Replies
Carl-MichaelAoanan
New Contributor II

I'm running Sophos antivirus.  I wonder if this bug that you found might also be applicable to this software, as it might be something worth looking into as well.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks to everybody for replying.  So 2 of 3 are running Webroot and 1 Sophos.  Carl-Michael, there are notes in the bug report saying that some customers have reported the behavior while running Sophos and Symantec but the vast majority are running Webroot.  Note that we're investigating the issue, so that we're not entirely sure about the cause.  There is a thread here https://community.esri.com/thread/53112 that seems like it is the same you're running into where the user can hit the c or g key to stop panning.  See if that stops the zooming.

Carl-MichaelAoanan
New Contributor II

Neither the c nor g keys work.  I have to press Esc to make the zooming stop.  When I press either the c or g keys, it starts to zoom in/out continuously until I stop it.

RobertKirkwood
Occasional Contributor III

i am getting that exact behavior in Arcmap 10.7.

0 Kudos
Carl-MichaelAoanan
New Contributor II

I do have an update, as I have been experimenting with this quite a bit recently.  I have found that I often have Google Chrome open while using ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap.  It seems like having Chrome open at the same time has a tendency to make the cursor in Pro/Map get stuck and become dysfunctional, forcing me to reboot the computer.  When I use a different browser, like Microsoft Edge, this problem doesn't occur at all (I'm running Windows 10).  I don't know if there is some sort of compatibility issue but I have found that this works for me 100% of the time.  Note, I have not disabled my Sophos Antivirus software at any point, so this seems to be a weird, but functional workaround to the problem.

LoganSuhr_PSE
Occasional Contributor

From the very first version all the way through v 2.2.0 now and I have had almost the exact same experience with Pro and Chrome.  In particular, Google sites like Gmail will almost guarantee that my cursor will be stuck.  In my case, it is the rotate tool.

I have had some success by making sure Chrome and Pro are closed, then open Chrome and clear the following:

Download History

Cookies *

Cached Images and Files *

Passwords

Autofill Form Data

Content Settings *

Hosted App Data *

It's probably more than needs to be cleared, but it generally works and saves me from rebooting.  I placed an * by what might be a likely culprit.  I am also a Webroot user.

I would love to hear more from Esri on this.  It is essentially forcing me to become an Edge or IE user and is extremely annoying in general...

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Logan, what antivirus are you running?

0 Kudos
LoganSuhr_PSE
Occasional Contributor

Webroot SecureAnywhere

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
deleted-user-ntyckxP5KpJO
New Contributor II

I've had the same issue for desktop, on and off for a while now.

This was the response I got from Webroot:

To help diagnose the issue you are experiencing, we would like you to try disabling the Identity Shield. Please follow the instructions below. 

1. Open Webroot SecureAnywhere. 
2. Open the "Identity Protection" menu on the right. 
3. Click the Identity Shield toggle so that the white status indicator is to the RIGHT. 
4. If prompted, complete the CAPTCHA and click "Enter." 
5. Test the issue you have been experiencing to see if it occurs when the Identity Shield is disabled. 

Once you are done testing, we recommend you re-enable your Identity Shield now by repeating steps 1-4, changing the toggle to read "Identity Shield is On." 

** If the issue STILL OCCURS when the Identity Shield is Off, please reply to this message to let us know and we will continue to troubleshoot. In this case, there is no need to complete any steps below this line. 

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 

** If the issue DOES NOT OCCUR when the Identity Shield is Off, please follow the steps below: 

1. Click the gear next to "Identity Protection" and then click on the "Application Protection" tab. 
2. Reply to this message to say that the issue DOES NOT OCCUR when the Identity Shield is Off. In your reply, be sure to include which items are listed in the Protected Applications window, and whether each item is set to Protect, Allow, or Deny.

I am not able to try this due to administration permissions. Let me know if it helps any of you.