Uncontrolled zoom out on layout view arcgis pro

Jump to solution
02-22-2018 11:57 AM
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

I have attached a screen capture of ArcGIS Pro behavior.  In the short video I click the navigate tool (not shown) and press the shift key as it was my understanding that this would allow me to Window zoom in a part of the map that I am interested in.  Instead pressing the shift key causes the zoom of the layout to zoomout to infinity.  Why is this happening? and why would anyone want it to happen?  It is maddeningly frustrating.  similar types of behavior occur when I try to use "Select".  This behavior seems to be limited to when the Layout is the activated

I also might add that similar to ArcGIS desktop behavior requiring some combination of pressing "C" or using the Shift key to reset the current tool; I seem perpetually stuck in a rotate view behavior that pressing "C" or "shift" doesn't seem  to fix.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This behavior was submitted as the following bug: BUG-000086476: The Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Pan tools from the toolba.. 

The additional information section explains the conclusion.

Additional Information

Esri has investigated this issue and found it to be caused by certain antivirus software. Please work with the users' antivirus vendor to determine the appropriate security settings to resolve interference with ArcGIS software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
JacobWard
New Contributor

This just started happening to me - the program is essentially unusable, as I have to wait for it to quit zooming out or maddeningly hit Esc to get it to stop. It happens when I press Alt or Shift or simply attempt to left mouse click and drag to pan. Were you able to resolve? Thanks!

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  I'm running ArcIS Pro 2.1.2, inserted a new layout, inserted a new Map Frame, clicked Navigate, held the Shift key down and Pro zoomed in rather than continuous, infinite zoom out.  Just a question - have you seen the Keyboard Shortcuts for Layouts shortcut page?  Also, what release of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

I have just reverted to 2.1.0, and the issue seemed to be resolved, or at least I could avoid it.  I didn't do anything specific, and I would say that this issue was at 2.0.  Next time I will note it more carefully. 

JaredTaylor
New Contributor III

Sometimes I feel like it has to do with how long I have been working in a project.  If I have been working for over 2 hours and performing a lot of work, than this problem starts to happen.  Usually it will resolve if I restart the program, however it is still a pain.

Carl-MichaelAoanan
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem as well, and have yet to find a solution.  I find that if I restart my computer, and the program, then it works seamlessly about 30% of the time.  If it doesn't work, I have to restart everything again.  It's very frustrating.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sam Montoia‌, Carl-Michael Aoanan and Jacob Ward ‌ We're sorry that you're experiencing this issue in ArcGIS Pro.  What antivirus are you using?  Could it be Webroot?

Please let us know.

JacobWard
New Contributor

I am using Webroot! That seems like a promising lead. What can I do? Thanks

for your help!

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

We have a bug logged that seems to be related to having Webroot installed on the machine.

[BUG-000086476: The Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Pan tools from the toolbar become stuck in ArcMap after pressing the corresponding Z, X, and C hot keys.]  I didn't want to just jump to that conclusion on this post before I heard back from one of you.

We're actively investigating this issue, but unfortunately, for now there is no listed workaround.  I'm not familiar with Webroot, but is there a way to quickly disable it.  At least for testing, you might disable it, work in Pro and see if it alleviates the behavior.

SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

I would just like to confirm that I am also using Webroot.  It's an intermittent issue.  I can't pinpoint the action or set of actions that I engage in that cause the behavior.  but I am interested in this Webroot bug as an explanation, and of course resolution.