Symbology Show all other values results in "Requested operation could not be completed"

11-19-2021 10:51 AM
GabrielMarcus_C
New Contributor III

I created a new point FC and imported a lyrx file for the symbology. The data fields are the same as when the lyrx field was created, but there are additional values in the field that "unique values" is using to symbolize. I'm choosing to "maintain ranges" so I can leave the other values in the "all other values" section. 

Unfortunately, when I go to more>all other values, I am greeted with a yellow warning "Requested operation could not be completed". There's no error message and no explanation. 

Am I going about this wrong, or is this a bug?

If I chose to update the ranges in the import symbology screen, incorrect symbols are applied to values that weren't in the original LYRX file. I would think that unmatched symbols would display as a generic point symbol. This behavior is the reason I'm choosing to "maintain ranges" so these other values are symbolized by the generic point symbol. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

As a test, try bringing in old dataset that you used to create the .lyrx.  Also bring in the new dataset you want to import the symbology to.  With both layer in the project, click on import symbology but instead of choosing the .lyrx file to import, choose the old existing defined layer.  See if that works.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus_C
New Contributor III

Good idea, but I get the same error. Are you using 2.9.0?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I am on 2.8.2, but I have used the same method to import symbology over the years and it has worked in all versions.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Could you possibly screenshot the error and share it here?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus_C
New Contributor III

Yes, the techniques you described have also worked for me in the past on previous versions of AGP. I've used both of them to import symbology into a new FC. The problem has appeared in 2.9.0. 
I've included a screenshot of the error. All is shown is the yellow error message. There's no code or anything else more descriptive. 

ReqOperationCouldNotBeCompleted.png

I'm also getting it when going into the new "Clusters" tab in the symbology properties, but I'm not even trying to make changes here. 

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Is this happening with other data you are working with or in other projects?  As a test, can you create a new .lyrx layer and see if it will allow you to import it using import symbology?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Also, just an FYI... I found this thread from 1-25-2019 and this same issue appears to be logged as a bug at ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2, a fix was release at 2.5 and then it popped up again at 2.6.1 and beyond.  Seems like ESRI hasn't kept an eye on this particular bug in their new releases? Here is the thread link if you want to read it:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/requested-operation-could-not-be-completed-error/... 

Also, not sure if you know, but there is a BUG report site that ESRI publishes, you might want to do a search there to see if anybody has logged it and what the update is.  If the test I mentioned in my post right before this one doesn't work and there isn't a bug reported, I would contact ESRI support and see if what they say.

Here is a link to the BUG report site: https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=arcgis-pro&content-type=Bugs 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
Scoth
by
New Contributor III

Still an issue in 3.0.2. So sick of Pro's bugs.

ElieRizk
Occasional Contributor

Polyline Symbology  error: "Requested operation could not be completed"

The issue persists in AGP 3..3.1 it is a show stopper to work with complex symbology for polyline layers. we are not able to move forward with projects.

ElieRizk_0-1720698777795.png

we tried the steps mentioned in the following ESRI technical support page without success.https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/error-requested-operation-could-not-be-completed-00002...

@ABishop kindly can you head up to the number of the bug mentioned in the URL you inserted in your message?

Here is a link to the BUG report site: https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=arcgis-pro&content-type=Bugs

thank you,

ER,

0 Kudos