I am facing an error when I am trying "New Database Connection" on ArcGIS Pro 2.5.
The error says,
Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance.
A database connection exception has occurred. Underlying DBMS error[ORA-28040]: No matching authentication protocolNo extended error.].
I'm working on a PC(let's call it, PC*) that ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 is installed.
There are variety of oracle client versions including oracle 19c.
Recently I added 19c client on PC* to match with the oracle DB version; however,
it looks like it is not working well.
What I've tested successfully:
I successfully connected DB on ArcGIS Pro with my other PC(let's call this PC, PC**).
1. On PC**, I found there is an oracle home file under the path below.
2. I added this directory on Environment variable.
3. On ArcGIS Pro, I successfully added a new database connection.
In short, I am wondering why I have to install oracle home on a client PC.
I see no need to do so, because the client doesn't necessarily need an oracle home.
Please let me know if you have any idea.
Thank you so much.
Updated on April 23rd, 2021
I solved the error by deleting all the lower versions of oracle instant client paths from the environmental variables.
0. The oracle client library version must be higher than that of oracle server.
1. You need to delete all the lower versions of oracle instant client paths from the environmental variables.
In other words, the only paths you need to remain are 19c oracle client 64bit and 19c oracle client 32bit in this case.
- ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Server need an oracle instant client 64bit.
- ArcGIS Desktop(ArcCatalog and ArcMap) needs oracle instant client 32bit .
2. Download oracle instant clients from oracle website accordingly-it's free after you sign up.
You just need instant client folder to the Server PC(PC*) - don't need to move all the files including .exe files that are downloaded from oracle webpage.
3. Add paths that those clients are downloaded under system environment variable.
4. Stop the ArcGIS Server on Services and restart it.
5. Try "Add New DB Connection" on ArcGIS Pro and ArcCatalog.
Plus, when the ArGIS Datastore that have been validated on Portal for ArcGIS cannot validate the DB connection after editing environment variables, restarting ArcGIS Server solves the problem.
Related Error(Error message on ArcGIS Pro):"Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance. A database connection exception has occurred. Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.."
Hope other engineers find this post useful.
Solved! Go to Solution.
What is the syntax being used to connect?
Try this if using default Port 1521: DB_Server_Name/Oracle_DB_Name(Oracle SID)