Sharing Group Layers from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
08-31-2021 02:45 AM
GIS_1234_KS
New Contributor III

Hi Folks,

I am trying to share a grouped layer containing 6 individual layers that are all Point features and represent funding awarded for each financial year dating back to 2015/2016 from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online but each time I share the Group Layer, they appear as individual layers only on the Web Map and subsequently Web Application?  All the layers are the exact same colour and size so I only need it to appear once on the legend but with not being able to publish it as a group layer, all six appear as individual feature layers and clutter up the Layer and Legend Lists on the Web Application. 

I need it to appear as a Group Layer where users can turn all the layers within the group off by simply clicking on the Group layer name and there are several other funding layers I need to publish within Group Layers but have had no joy finding any useful links or training to help.

This used o be a very easy process to do on ArcMap but at the moment I am figuring out how to replicate this process on ArcGIS Pro.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

It would appear you are publishing a Feature service to AGOL? Currently, you cannot publish feature services with group layers (all layers will be ungrouped and en masse). 

However, with the new Map Viewer, you can now re-group your layers on the web side (Portal and AGOL), and the groups will be honoured if you author a web app using Experience builder or Instant Apps.

When you remember it working with ArcMap, perhaps you were publishing Map Image Services to Portal? These support group layers direct from ArcMap/Pro, as these are "served" on the ArcGIS Server tier, not in Portal or AGOL directly.

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

5 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

It would appear you are publishing a Feature service to AGOL? Currently, you cannot publish feature services with group layers (all layers will be ungrouped and en masse). 

However, with the new Map Viewer, you can now re-group your layers on the web side (Portal and AGOL), and the groups will be honoured if you author a web app using Experience builder or Instant Apps.

When you remember it working with ArcMap, perhaps you were publishing Map Image Services to Portal? These support group layers direct from ArcMap/Pro, as these are "served" on the ArcGIS Server tier, not in Portal or AGOL directly.

David
..Maps with no limits..
GIS_1234_KS
New Contributor III

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me and it is exactly as you say, it is as a feature service and the layers are automatically ungrouped when published to AGOL.

I will work with the new Map Viewer to create the applications using Experience Builder as I am assuming that this is now replacing the Web App Builder.  

Thinking back to my previous role, the group layers were published to Server and at the moment, this is not set up in my current role.

Thanks

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

No problem. Glad to help.

It's a bit of a change switching to EB from WAB, but you should be fine. And you're correct, EB is built on the latest JS API, and will support the latest developments going forward.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
GIS_1234_KS
New Contributor III

Thank you, is there any good training on EB that you'd recommend starting out with? Never used it before and have looked through ESRI training but not come across anything that is about generating a Map that can be analysed similar to WAB and finding the functionality slightly ore limiting in EB at the minute

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can share group layers from Pro when you share the web map. Like mentioned in the thread - Feature Layers do not support group layers so they can only be stored in the web map. 4.x web apps like New Map Viewer, EB, Dashboards and others will support group layers.