Reverse Watershed?

Jump to solution
12-14-2022 05:02 PM
Labels (1)
DevinMcCoy
New Contributor

I am using Arc Pro 2.8 and am trying to figure out how to predict where a stream of lava will flow. I found a guide online on how to run a watershed but after repeated attempts realized it was doing the opposite of what I need. https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023169 I need to predict what the flow will be, but unfortunately this predicts where flow will come from. Are there any tools that can predict where liquid will flow from a designated point?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Optimal Path As Raster tool can be used to 'trace downstream' using the same flow direction raster used to make watersheds.

The optimal path created can be a flow path based on D8 flow direction. To generate an optimal path in this way, use a D8 flow direction raster as input for the Input back direction or flow direction raster parameter. You also need to supply an Input distance accumulation raster value; the Input distance accumulation raster value is not used to determine the path. Whether you use a constant raster or a digital elevation model (DEM), the path will be the same; only an attribute value on the path will vary. See the Flow Direction tool documentation for more information on D8 flow direction rasters.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Optimal Path As Raster tool can be used to 'trace downstream' using the same flow direction raster used to make watersheds.

The optimal path created can be a flow path based on D8 flow direction. To generate an optimal path in this way, use a D8 flow direction raster as input for the Input back direction or flow direction raster parameter. You also need to supply an Input distance accumulation raster value; the Input distance accumulation raster value is not used to determine the path. Whether you use a constant raster or a digital elevation model (DEM), the path will be the same; only an attribute value on the path will vary. See the Flow Direction tool documentation for more information on D8 flow direction rasters.