Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster Disappears when using Define Projection Tool

11-17-2022 10:20 AM
Labels (2)
MeganJacobsen
New Contributor

Hi all,

I'm running into some trouble attempting to use the Define Projection tool for a raster dataset from the Landsat 8 collection. I know it is supposed to be projected into the WGS 1984/UTM Zone 15S coordinate system, however, when it is projected into that (or any Southern Hemisphere UTM projection), the raster disappears from view. Not because it has been hidden in the content pane, it's just not visible. It will be visible if projected into any Northern Hemisphere UTM projection, although this is not where the data is supposed to be projected to. Using the 'Zoom to Layer' tool, it will show me the approximate extent of what the raster is supposed to be, where it is suppose to be projected to, but the raster just isn't visible. I've tried changing symbologies and extent, which haven't worked, removing and readding the raster, which also doesn't work. I've completely updated my desktop application, and my computer, but neither seem to work.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a way to fix this, or am I just going to be running different tools on a raster that I cannot see for the duration of my project?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you're using the Define Projection tool, you have to define the projection that the raster is in, not the coordinate system you want it to be. Once the projection is defined,  you can either rely on the on-the-fly projection that ArcGIS Pro provides or project it using the Project Raster tool

Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

It should already have a projection defined. And that projection should be a northern hemisphere UTM zone, regardless of whether the scene is in the northern or southern hemisphere. 

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/why-do-landsat-scenes-southern-hemisphere-display-negative-utm-values

0 Kudos