Pro not maintaining fully qualified field names during intersect - even though box is checked

07-11-2021 06:09 PM
SunniBoulton
New Contributor II

Pro Version 2.6.2 not maintaining fully qualified field names during intersect - even though box is checked

I am Intersecting three feature classes, two of which -  LZN_20200702 and LZN_20210630 - have the same field names.

I have ticked the “Fields > Maintain fully qualified field names” but the output is only labelling the FID for each feature class, and not maintaining qualified field names.  I need to know which original feature class the field "SYM_CODE" is from to enable a definition query.

Have I missed something ?

Screenshots of the dialog boxes:

1. The intersect feature Parameter settings

SunniBoulton_0-1626051370609.png

2. Environment settings

SunniBoulton_1-1626051370613.png

3. Resulting fields

SunniBoulton_2-1626052052790.png

Thank you!

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

both Intersect and Pairwise Intersect are supposed to support qualified field names, but give

Pairwise Intersect (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

a try.  Make sure you don't have any unsaved edits in any layers before running any tools just in case

... sort of retired...
SunniBoulton
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, thanks for suggesting this, but sadly, it didn't solve the problem (for Pro 2.6 anyway).  I have yet to try it at home, will let you know if this solves it!

It is baffling, because Arcmap (V10.6.1) is doing the same thing - I'm certain that prior to this version it reliably prefixed fields with the original table name.

Cheers,

Sunni

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

In addition to Dan's response, I see you're using ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2.  The current release of ArcGIS Pro is 2.8.1 - you may want to update your ArcGIS Pro to the latest release to take advantage of improvements, new tools, new workflows and BUG fixes too.

0 Kudos
SunniBoulton
New Contributor II

Hi Robert, unfortunately because I'm working for local government I can't control our upgrade schedule.  It has to tie in with our Digital Tech Section's list of work.  However I have the latest version on my home PC so I will try it there, cheers

0 Kudos
RolandDuhaime
Occasional Contributor

I am using version 2.8.3 and am experiencing the same issue.  I have confirmed that the setting is checked to "Maintain fully qualified field names." Also, the output of the Intersect is being written to a file geodatabase.