Select to view content in your preferred language

Polygons that I created are no longer showing up

08-15-2024 12:18 PM
aurichat
New Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.3 through Amazon WorkSpaces on my Mac laptop.

This is cross-posted from Reddit.

I've been creating polygons in feature layers on ArcGIS Pro (see here for details on my process) and I am having issues with their visibility.

I started creating these polygons on Tuesday. When I re-opened the app on Wednesday, they'd all disappeared. The layers were still there, but toggling the visibility on and off did nothing.

I had to start over and spent most of yesterday re-creating the polygons I'd made the day before. When I was on my latest one, I had to hit command-z a bunch of times while editing it. The visibility of all the other polygons was off, so that I could focus on this newest one, but when I went to toggle them back on, just to check on my progress, all but one just wouldn't appear.

I found some other posts/threads/mentions of this on Reddit, here, and elsewhere, but their issue started right after they'd created a polygon. My polygons appeared just fine after I created them. I'd made quite a few when they just all stopped re-appearing.

The polygons in the feature layers that I imported are fine. (They take a while to load, but that doesn't surprise me because of how much area they cover.) So are the images that I'm geo-referencing. It's just the polygons that I've created.

I uploaded a screen recording here.

I'm pretty new to ArcGIS Pro, I'm sort of just stumbling my way through the different effects, so I may have missed an important step somewhere.

(Attribute tables, maybe?? The attribute tables for the missing polygons are empty (the one polygon I created that is still showing up has a row in its attribute table—FID: 0; Shape: Polygon; Id: 0), but I'm not sure how to fix that.)

(Or definition query? None of my polygons, even the one that is showing up, have one of those.)

If anyone has any idea of what's going on, please let me know so that I can fix this. (And how.) I'd rather not have to start over, but I will if it means this doesn't happen again.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NateExley
Emerging Contributor

I'm running into the same issue with polygons I appended to our Indoors Units layer - I added them on Monday and then come Tuesday stuff started hitting the fan. Appending records began taking hours (like 4-5 hrs), polygons went missing, and edits wouldn't stick. 

So, there may be a larger functionality issue at play here. 

But, that shouldn't be the issue if you're editing non-GIS online layers and maps. 

After creating a polygon, did you select the "Finish" button to commit uncommitted geometry and save the edits? 

NateExley_0-1723754564557.pngNateExley_1-1723754640311.png

0 Kudos
Eugene_Adkins
Frequent Contributor

I know you mentioned no definition queries, but just for clarification, are you creating your data using a feature service (data sourced from a published feature class) or is the data you're creating directly sourced from the geodatabase? If the data you're creating is sourced from a feature service, it's possible the aprx used to create the service could have a definition query applied. This would allow you to create but eventually the features that do not match the query would disappear.

If the above does not apply, perhaps it's possible there is a memory issue? Also, what happens if you load this data into a newly created aprx?

Lastly, perhaps this earlier post will help: Solved: Features effectively disappear from map - Esri Community 

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

@aurichat wrote:

When I was on my latest one, I had to hit command-z a bunch of times while editing it.

Not sure when you did the series of cmd-z, but that is the undo keyboard shortcut.  Is it possible you undid all the edits before you pressed the save edits button?

R_

0 Kudos