Polygon lines and attributes disappearing after editing or drawing.

03-18-2021 06:34 AM
JuddStattine
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am having an issue with ARCGIS pro.  I have over 100 arcgis files saved onto our server and have been struggling with an issue I cannot figure out.  After opening up a ArcGIS Pro file within 1-10 minutes, every time I draw a new shape line onto the map, the line disappears after a few seconds or minutes.  This usually happens after I "save edits".   Sometimes the line is visible, but I am unable to click and highlight the shape and eventually it will disappear.   For existing shapes already on the map, whenever I edit the vertices or attributes, the edits are reverted back to its previous state.  In order to stop this from happening, I would have to close and reopen ArcGIS Pro so that I can create new or edit the shape.  Everything will be fine, but after a minutes or so the issue would happen again.   I noticed that it barely happens with a fresh new map, but after a while adding multiple growing amounts of drawings, the issue happens quite often.

Does anyone know what issue this is and how can I fix it?

Update. I have added a video below showing the issue.

https://youtu.be/Z2IzXmcnRSQ

Notce, I try to change 28.00 to 29.00 by editing the attributes, but after being saved, it reverts back to 28.00.  Secondly, when I try adding a few lines, the lines disappear and evidently shows on the attributes tables.  Lastly, when I try to delete the line, it returns after I save.  

Uploaded by Julienne Jose on 2021-03-23.
29 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What kind of "files" are they? If they don't support concurrent edits, could it be that other users are accessing the data at the same time?

It also sounds like it could be related to the spatial index. Have you tried rebuilding the indices for the layers?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JuddStattine
New Contributor II

I am working on a ArcGIS Project File and using SHP files.

I am unfamiliar with these steps.  Can you help me?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

jcarlson_0-1616090075638.png

Open up the layer properties, go to Indexes, click Recalculate. No guarantees it will work, but it's another thing to try.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JuddStattine
New Contributor II

Thank you, but no luck on this one.  

0 Kudos
Ed209
by
New Contributor

This problem has randomly plagued me for years. Your solution fixed it.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

Where is the data stored (Locally/Network | FGDB/Shapefile/Enterprise GDB)?

How are you "always" saving the edits (Using Keyboard or the the GUI)

Jayanta_Poddar_0-1616075452553.png

You Should always save your edits using the Save Edits icon.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JuddStattine
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1,but this has been happening with updates for that.

This is a local sever.

I save using both.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you use CTRL+S, it saves your Project (Not the edits). Try using the Save Edits icon verytime you want to save the edits. Let us know if the issue still persists.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JuddStattine
New Contributor II

I have tried saving normally by clicking the save icon and did not do the trick 😶

0 Kudos