Select to view content in your preferred language

Importing AutoCAD .dwg files to ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
11-29-2023 07:20 AM
JamesCarroll7
New Contributor II

I have been using ArcGIS Pro to convert AutoCAD .dwg files to shapefiles since 2020. These Cad files contain windfarm layouts with the different elements of the windfarm (i.e. turbines, access roads, borrow pits etc.) all on their own layers. The elements are only made up of polylines and circles, no blocks, hatches etc. 

Up until now I would use the Add Data tool in ArcGIS Pro to import the Cad file, which would then display all of the layers in the .dwg as individual layers GIS. 

I recently updated to ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0, and since then I have been having an issue. I import the Cad file in the same way, but now all of the layers in the .dwg import to GIS as a single layer (see attached image). This is less than ideal as I need the file to import as individual layers. Does anyone know of a workaround for this issue? I have been unable to find anything to solve it.

Thanks

ArcGIS Pro Layer.PNG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

you have to bring the .dwg file into ArcGIS Pro like you are doing and then expand the .dwg layer in the TOC to see all the CAD layers under it. Select one of those and that will activate the CAD Data in the menu bar. Select it then you will see the info you are looking for.

Like 'Alternative_Road_Option" in your example.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

you have to bring the .dwg file into ArcGIS Pro like you are doing and then expand the .dwg layer in the TOC to see all the CAD layers under it. Select one of those and that will activate the CAD Data in the menu bar. Select it then you will see the info you are looking for.

Like 'Alternative_Road_Option" in your example.

JamesCarroll7
New Contributor II

Very helpful, thank you!

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

I had the same question when I first did it. 

0 Kudos