Select to view content in your preferred language

How to define negative overrun for labels (or do something similar)

Friday
Labels (1)
Crinoid
New Contributor II

I'm working on a small-scale road map that has many roads symbolized in different colors based on certain attributes. I want maximize the number of roads with labels, but I also don't want any label to obscure the color of the road it's labeling. Regardless of how I tweak font size or label-fitting strategies, there's always at least a few labels that are almost the exact same length as the road they're on. This makes it very hard to see the color of the road, and in this instance I'd rather have these roads go unlabeled.

At first I thought to offset all the labels from their roads, but offsets or multiline labels turned out to not be feasible for the denser parts of the map. Really what I'm looking for is something more along the lines of a negative overrun, or the ability to define a minimum allowable offset between a label and both ends of its line. Does something like this exist?

example.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nilonki
New Contributor

To break it simply... positive variance is favorable, while negative variance is unfavorable. These are accounting definitions, and based on whether it helped or hindered the business.

0 Kudos