How to Convert Polylines to Polygon in ArcGis Pro, basic License

02-16-2021 12:07 PM
Labels (1)
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3 with a basic level liscense, and I currently have a drawing that I brought in from a shapefile that I exported from autocad. It is comprised of ~250 polylines and I cant find a way to convert these polylines into a single polygon. I obviously can't use the Line to Polygon feature in the toolbox, and I was wondering if there is an easy way to convert these polylines without tracing over them with a polygon tool wasting time.

I've attempted to merge all of these lines into a new feature class and then have the "auto-complete polygon tool" do the work for me, but  when I attempt to create a new feature class this auto-complete polygon tool does not seem to pop up on my program, I'm suspecting that this only works in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

It seems that the only real solution according to that thread would be to install a free plug in that can convert this data, correct?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

or find a machine and evaluate the new features of Arcgis Pro... or use QGIS

This all assumes that your polylines do indeed form true polygons and not a collection of lines that look like they might form polygons

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Are the polylines in AutoCAD closed and are you using the MAPEXPORT command?  If so, on the MAPEXPORT window, under the Selection tab select Polygon and select objects.  Then on the Options tab select the "Treat closed polylines as polygons" check box.  This will create a shapefile with polygon features. 

0 Kudos
JoshBryk
New Contributor II

That option is grayed out for me, probably because there is some openings and it isnt an entirely closed loop.

0 Kudos