Select to view content in your preferred language

Finding overlapping parts of two line feature classes

Jump to solution
11-28-2023 05:28 AM
emazan
by
New Contributor

Hi,

I work in ArcGIS Pro, and I have two line feature classes where I want to find all overlapping segments. The feature classes take up the same geometric space for an unknown length every time they overlap, but the overlap is not necessarily feature by feature. I’ve tried to show different types of overlap in the image. The blue feature class covers the whole line network, whereas the red feature class covers parts of it. There are also other feature classes (black) that cover the whole network. What I want is the green lines.

overlap.png

I’ve tried joins and doing different select feature by location analysis, but the result is not correct. My problem I think is that the features in the different feature classes have different lengths and starting/ending points, and so the result will show me features that partially overlap. But I want only the overlapping segments.

It doesn’t matter if I have to cut, erase or save results in a different feature class. In the end I’m only interested in the total length of the overlap.

I hope somebody has a solution and that I’ve made myself understood; I don’t usually express this in English!

1 Solution
3 Replies
emazan
by
New Contributor

That worked. Thank you!

0 Kudos
MaraKaminowitz
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos