Select to view content in your preferred language

Find most likely wildlife paths within a watershed

03-21-2024 10:12 AM
Labels (1)
brooke
by
New Contributor

I am trying to identify likely paths for a single wildlife species within a large watershed using ArcGIS Pro. I have looked into using a least cost path analysis because animals are likely to travel along the least costly routes, but I'm not sure this is what I want because I am looking at the watershed as a whole and not paths between individual points. I also looked into the Cost Connectivity or Optimal Region Connections tools because they use regions and not points, but again, I just have one large region that I am working with. Would it be best to create a habitat suitability model first and then create regions from that and then use cost connectivity? From my understanding that would only find the one best path between regions though and I am interested in finding all of the likely paths. I am curious what the best method for this would be or if it is even possible. 

This is all new to me so any help would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @brooke - this sounds like a great real world case study using ArcGIS Pro and ModelBuilder.  There is a Learn by Doing lesson - "Propose Wildlife Corridors for Key Species" here that you can model/copy/use for your study.

0 Kudos