Select to view content in your preferred language

Field Name Truncation in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 GP Outputs

Jump to solution
02-08-2024 07:33 AM
Labels (3)
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

My work unit recently upgraded from ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 to ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 and while updating training material created using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 I noticed that my field names are truncated in the outputs of geoprocessing tools.  I ran a spatial join and the results truncated the output FC (not exporting to SHP) field names to 10 characters.  This did not occur in AGP 3.1.2.  Has anyone encountered this? Is there a solution rather than a work around? I do not want to alias the fields to get my original field name.  Here is a screen shot of the two input tables of the spatial join and the output table:  

Jonathan_Goergen_0-1707406394571.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III
4 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

Commenting to follow this, because this is something I've been worried about with a few of our datasets for a while now.

We have some names that are longer than 10 characters that we've had difficulty shortening without losing clarity, and when you truncate them to 10 characters, you end up with a couple dozen fields with the same name.

They're generally not included in anything we do shapefile-wise, but it's still been a concern.  If it's now an FC issue, then that's a major concern for us, and is going to drastically change my timetable on our next schema updates.

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

I have ran it a few times and have gotten inconsistent results - I re-ran and it worked as expected, I am going to test a few times because I need to know what will happen when I run trainees through an exercise next week

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

I was exporting to a non-project GDB and selected the GDB in the file chooser and typed my file name rather than clicking into the GDB so the file was exported as a shapefile - no problem here

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Goergen
New Contributor III

User error