Extent of Analyses

Jump to solution
05-24-2021 11:04 AM
Labels (1)
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

I am trying to confine the geoprocessing analyses to the boundary of the State of Utah. 

I have set the Processing Extent in the Environment window from the Analyses ribbon tab to be the same as Utah Shapefile.

However, the output of my analyses goes beyond the boundary of the Utah shapefile (please see attached).

I know that Business Analysis might solve this issue but I do not have the license for that. 

Would you please recommend another approach?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I just had a proper look at the picture, it looks to have the correct extent (extent is rectangular) and works as expected.  You could use it as a clipping geometry for display purposes, or Extract by Mask—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop (or use a mask in the GP environment instead) or Clip (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (bear in mind for all of these that you may have cell gaps at the boundary as portions of cells may not have their centroid within the shape and not be included).

If you're doing further analysis with this raster and others I would recommend keeping it/them as is, then clipping for display Clip layers in a map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation at the end.  If doing more stuff with raster combinations, look into Cell Size and Snap raster options to ensure no resampling occurs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

possibly the Utah shapefile has an incorrect extent? Is this euclidean distance?

NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

yes, it is. I have projected the shapefile to NAD83 as well.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I just had a proper look at the picture, it looks to have the correct extent (extent is rectangular) and works as expected.  You could use it as a clipping geometry for display purposes, or Extract by Mask—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop (or use a mask in the GP environment instead) or Clip (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation (bear in mind for all of these that you may have cell gaps at the boundary as portions of cells may not have their centroid within the shape and not be included).

If you're doing further analysis with this raster and others I would recommend keeping it/them as is, then clipping for display Clip layers in a map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation at the end.  If doing more stuff with raster combinations, look into Cell Size and Snap raster options to ensure no resampling occurs.

NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Thank you very much :).