Does the Exploratory Analysis line of sight tool require an extension or particular license level?

Jump to solution
10-07-2021 06:44 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

In ArcPro 2.8 under the Analysis tab are the Exploratory 3D analysis tools and one of the tools is the line of sight tool.

DuncanHornby_0-1633613866525.png

It is not clear from the help file if this is a tool that is available to everyone regardless of license level and extensions? 

So my question is simply do you need any extension installed and\or a particular license level to be able to use this tool?

I ask this question as I have an academic version of ArcPro so it has all bells and whistles turned on. I am unable to downgrade my license or turn off say the 3D Analyst extension to test the scenario of someone having the most basic setup and that this tool does in fact require some minimum license/extension?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

I set my Pro license level to Basic and removed all extension licenses, and all the Exploratory Analysis tools were still available. I didn't go through and try all of them, but Line of Sight definitely worked.

The only info I could find was on this page: What is the ArcGIS 3D Analyst extension in ArcGIS Pro? 

3D capabilities previously provided with ArcScene and ArcGlobe have been incorporated into 3D scenes in ArcGIS Pro. You do not need an ArcGIS 3D Analyst extension license to visualize GIS data in a 3D environment with ArcGIS Pro.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Tim_McGinnes
Occasional Contributor III

I set my Pro license level to Basic and removed all extension licenses, and all the Exploratory Analysis tools were still available. I didn't go through and try all of them, but Line of Sight definitely worked.

The only info I could find was on this page: What is the ArcGIS 3D Analyst extension in ArcGIS Pro? 

3D capabilities previously provided with ArcScene and ArcGlobe have been incorporated into 3D scenes in ArcGIS Pro. You do not need an ArcGIS 3D Analyst extension license to visualize GIS data in a 3D environment with ArcGIS Pro.

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

That's really good news  and thank you for taking the time to test it on minimal setup. As we all know ESRI have a nasty habit of enabling awesome tools with an extension or higher license level so it's good to see them have a more open approach to the 3D capabilities of ArcPro.

0 Kudos