Display XY Data not working on some systems with same csv file

Jump to solution
05-02-2022 04:18 PM
Labels (3)
RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

We are having problems with Display XY Data on several Pro installs.  It has nothing to do with the data file which we have simplified down to a 3 column 24 row CSV because the file works on half the Pro installs we've tested and not others for a total of 3 out of 3.  It also works on every ArcMap install I've tested it with.

Using Pro, we add the csv file to the TOC, then right lick and choose the "Display XY Data" function.  I can immediately tell if it's going to work on a machine by if it automatically detects the X, Y and Coordinate System.  When it automatically detects those it works, but if I have to select them from the drop downs then it end up not working but there are no errors.  

I can see that when the tools works it creates a temp feature class in the default gdb and adds it to the TOC.  However, on installs where it doesn't work it doesn't create the temp feature class doesn't error off. 

Has anyone seen this before?  The only common denominator has been that it works on new clean installs but not on systems that have and several version of Pro over the life of the computer.  In my tests, it didn't work on my computer with 2.8.3 so I upgraded to 2.9.2 and it still didn't work.

Pro system tested on

• 2.9 worked
  • 2.8.5 no results
  • 2.9.2 no results
  • 2.8.3 worked

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

Issue resolved!

I wanted to try one last time doing a un-install of Pro 2.9.2 and documenting what Pro artifacts were left before doing a new install.  The un-install was done through Apps & Features but this time I  refreshed the A&F screen to verity that Pro was gone, to my surprise it now listed Pro 2.6.2 as being there.  In the past we were doing in-place upgrades of Pro from older versions to newer versions so I followed up the uninstall of 2.9.2 with an uninstall of 2.6.2.  This took several minutes so apparently it was doing something.  After that I renamed the ESRI folders under Roaming and Local folders in AppData then rebooted.

At this point I did a clean install of Pro 2.9.2 and it now the Display XY Data works!  I'm thinking this is what is the problem on the other systems where that tool isn't working because all the systems where it worked were new installs where there were no previous versions of Pro installed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Whenever there is a new (major) release of ArcGIS Pro, I do a full uninstall of ArcGIS Pro and a clean install of ArcGIS Pro AND rename the ESRI folder in my C:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\local and C:\users\<user_profile>\appdata\roaming to ESRI_OLD.  This tends to resolve any "strangeness afoot" with items such as these.  Might be worth a try on one of the machines experiencing this issue.

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

That was the first thing I did, the uninstall and renaming the folder.  Still same issue.

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger1
Occasional Contributor

Issue resolved!

I wanted to try one last time doing a un-install of Pro 2.9.2 and documenting what Pro artifacts were left before doing a new install.  The un-install was done through Apps & Features but this time I  refreshed the A&F screen to verity that Pro was gone, to my surprise it now listed Pro 2.6.2 as being there.  In the past we were doing in-place upgrades of Pro from older versions to newer versions so I followed up the uninstall of 2.9.2 with an uninstall of 2.6.2.  This took several minutes so apparently it was doing something.  After that I renamed the ESRI folders under Roaming and Local folders in AppData then rebooted.

At this point I did a clean install of Pro 2.9.2 and it now the Display XY Data works!  I'm thinking this is what is the problem on the other systems where that tool isn't working because all the systems where it worked were new installs where there were no previous versions of Pro installed.

0 Kudos
AngeloSocio
New Contributor

Thi is annoying. I can't add xy data and it is simply essential to my work as a geologist. Look guys, you might have the time to install it many times, but I don't. I never have this problem with the ArcGis 10.3. Seriously considering going back there!!!

0 Kudos