Definition query and symbology

Jump to solution
04-23-2021 12:53 PM
TychoGranville
Occasional Contributor II

I created a definition query (in this example, "don't include driveways") but driveways still show up in the symbology window. They don't render on the map or show up in the underlying table so that part is working.  Is the symbology pane ignoring the definition query? What am I missing?

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Tycho

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This looks like BUG-000097344 - Symbolizing a layer by unique values where the layer has a definition query applied, and the field to be symbolized has a domain applied, returns all values from the domain rather than only the values that satisfy the layer's definition query.  It's in the Product Plan to be fixed.  Just not sure when.

View solution in original post

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As mentioned by Robert, this is a known bug with ArcGIS Pro.

BUG-000097344 

You could just right-click the symbol > Remove (till the bug is fixed)

Jayanta_Poddar_0-1619210989733.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using? I'm using 2.7.3. I did a similar workflow on an eGDB feature class with a definition query and it did not show in the symbology pane. 

TychoGranville

Hmm..2.7.3 as well. I'll make a new Project and see if the behavior is just in this one.

TychoGranville

It looks like the symbology pane does not like my definition queries being based on domains. If I base it on a field without a domain (even within the same FC) it works as expected.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  Has your domain values been validated?  Meaning all the field values are in the domain.  And no NULL values?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This looks like BUG-000097344 - Symbolizing a layer by unique values where the layer has a definition query applied, and the field to be symbolized has a domain applied, returns all values from the domain rather than only the values that satisfy the layer's definition query.  It's in the Product Plan to be fixed.  Just not sure when.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you click on "Add all values" icon in symbology pane, and check if the values refresh to exclude the driveways?

Jayanta_Poddar_0-1619208862013.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
TychoGranville

I did "add all values" to refresh it, no change.

There are no nulls. I haven't validated in awhile, I will check to see if any bad entries have snuck in.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As mentioned by Robert, this is a known bug with ArcGIS Pro.

BUG-000097344 

You could just right-click the symbol > Remove (till the bug is fixed)

Jayanta_Poddar_0-1619210989733.png

Think Location
TychoGranville

Thanks, guys. I would've been banging my head on this one for awhile 🙂

0 Kudos