Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating Multiple Features from one Feature

Jump to solution
01-11-2024 02:26 PM
FlightDeck
Occasional Contributor

Hey all,

I currently have thousands of points on my map that I need to run through Network Path Planner, but before I can do that I need the separate them out by county. Doing this manually consists of Selecting by attribute selecting "Where"county" is equal to "county name" clicking apply, right clicking the feature, clicking data, then clicking export features, appending the county name to the new feature name, Clicking OK deleting the features from the old feature class then moving on to the next County Name. As you can imagine this is quite tedious. Is there a tool that can be used to iterate through this? I figured this would be a good use case for model builder but cant figure out how to get things setup in order run let alone actually iterate through each of the county names automatically. Each of the county names is located in a field called county if that helps. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split By Attributes (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

will automate the query and produce multiple featureclasses based on your attributes

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split By Attributes (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

will automate the query and produce multiple featureclasses based on your attributes

... sort of retired...
FlightDeck
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, 

Maybe I am using the tool incorrectly, but when I run it, the tool seems to create only shape files that don't automatically get brought into the project. I have to go out find them, bring them back into the project, and re-apply the symbology across all of the new files. Is that the normal behavior of this tool or have I done something wrong?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is normal... Check your settings in the project backstage to automatically add results of geoprocessing operations to your maps... it may be off.  Not all tools do this however.

The tool just saves you the hastle of multiple select by attributes.

You should be able to apply symbology from layer manually on the results

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos