Copy Raster yields only 3-bands from Hyperspectral Mosaic Dataset (Pro)

04-05-2019 10:41 AM
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I have a Mosaic Dataset of drone-based Hyperspectral (270 bands) imagery.  The data is comprised of multiple flight paths and is sewn together with seamlines that I created. I am using Pro v2.3.2 (Basic License)

When exporting the Mosaic Dataset to a merged raster (.img), using the "Copy Raster" geoprocessing tool, the image that is being outputted is only 3 bands - I am losing all of the other bands.  I have tried numerous file types - tif's grids within a gdb, everything outputs the same 3 band imagery, and tried every setting imaginable, including Environment settings. I am exporting as 32 bit float pixel depth (same as the input imagery) and am NOT checking the "Colormap to RGB" box.

I have confirmed that the original Mosaic Dataset contains all 270 bands of imagery.  

Curiously In ArcMap I am hitting an out of memory error (which makes sense) after the process runs for a good deal of time (an hour maybe).  To me this probably means all the bands are exporting correctly in ArcMap. However, when running in Pro the process finishes quickly and exports only 3 bands.  Same exact settings... 

The only conclusion I can come to here is that there is a potential bug where the tool is running as if the "Colormap to RGB"  setting is always checked.

Thanks
Tyler

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tyler,

Can you test with other tools? Like Mosaic to New Raster? Or Mosaic? They should be available with a Basic license.

Here's the documentation for each:

Mosaic to New Raster

Mosaic

If you're unfamiliar, the difference between the two is that Mosaic writes to an existing raster dataset, while Mosaic to New Raster creates a new output. But they should both output a merged raster dataset of all of the rasters in the Mosaic Dataset and might be a good alternative to Copy Raster.

Fingers crossed!

-Lauren

TylerSchwartz2

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried to use Mosaic to New Raster, but Pro is crashing once progress nears 100% yeilding a raster that is corrupted.  I am going to try a few more times and see if I can get the tool to complete.  One nice thing about this tool is it lets me specify the number of bands (although Im not sure if the large number of bands is actually the problem to begin with).

Mosaic is asking me for a "target raster" to supposedly overwrite. It wont let me just save a new raster unless I create a new blank raster, which I guess is an option I can still try.

Seems like Pro just isnt up to the task for imagery with this many bands...We may need to move outside of the ESRI environment for final raster output.

I am also curious as to why Copy Raster is only outputting 3-bands when run on a Mosaic Dataset (and why Pro crashes when using Mosaic to New Raster instead)? Exporting single .img files seems to be working as expected (all 270 bands). Paging Kory Kramer

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mosaic requires an existing raster to mosaic other rasters to

mosaic to new raster is the one you would want

Regarding the 100% yielding a crash and a corrupt raster, have you tried it on a smaller input (maybe a single flight path) to see if the problem is with the mosaic to new raster or the data type?

TylerSchwartz2

Thats a good point Dan, this would allow me to determine if its the number of bands thats the issue or the size of the final stitched file.  Ill look into this.  

EDIT: when exporting individual flightlines (individual .img files), using both Copy Raster and Mosaic to New Raster, I am getting all 270 bands exported.  Therefore it seems related to exporting a hyperspectral mosaic dataset and not other raster types. 

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you every get it working with the mosaic? or contact tech support on this?

0 Kudos
TylerSchwartz2

I did not and do not have time to call support and recreate (we are a private sector company) as with 200 band imagery this takes a while to run and to reproduce. 

I guess the hope was someone at ESRI would read this post and test it out on their end, or another user having a similar issue would chime in so I know the problem isn't isolated.

In the end we did the mosaic in ERDAS Imagine and it worked fine so we have phased out Pro in that part of our workflow.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tyler... perhaps after your report here, someone will have a look

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sorry to hear that it isn't working for you Tyler Schwartz‌.  How are you feeding the MD input into the Copy Raster tool - dragging the layer from the map into the tool, or going directly to the MD path on disk?  This could be important if you have any rendering or on-the-fly functions applied to the mosaic dataset.  Could that be the case?

TylerSchwartz2

Going directly to the MD path on disk.  I believe my dataframe and dataset are all in the same UTM projection and I do not have any on-the-fly image adjustments (I assume you mean adjustments to brightness/contrast/gamma) applied to the MD.

0 Kudos