Combine feature classes by selecting on screen

02-02-2021 12:29 PM
Labels (3)
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I'm using the ArcGIS pro, I have 2 questions:

1.  Can I combine different feature classes (specific polygons and not the whole layer) into one new layer by selecting them on the screen? 

2. Do the software has a tool to combine different feature classes that not in the same geometry? I have a layer of polygons and a layer of lines  

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think the merge tool will take care of Question #1.  And I believe it honors a selected set, so you can select a number of polygons from one feature class, and some others from another feature class etc.

You can in fact 'combine' different geometries together... Sort of... Check out the overlay tools in ArcGis Pro.  When I say sort of, you can overlay points to a polygons (intersect) and either end up with polygons that have the point data within them or points with the polygon info in which they are contained. You can't mix geometries in a single feature class.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AvivitLevy
New Contributor III

Thank you for the answer, I think I'm looking for another procedure, I have different layers with different symbology, and geometry (lines and polygons). I would like by selecting specific polygons and lines from different layers to create a new layer with maintaining the original symbology of each feature class, and  keeping the OBJECTID and the other original info in the new attribute table.

Hope you can help me,

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Symbology of a given feature is a property of the map document rather than the data itself; if you select say 10 polygons from PolygonFeatureClass1 and export them to PolygonFeatureClass2, you can symbolize the second feature class any way you want to.

Look at the various tools I suggested earlier: some of them will maintain the original OID calling it something slightly different in the output feature class, like ObjectID_1.  You cannot control ObjectID, the database does that.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos