Character marker symbol doesn't look like it should

10-10-2018 12:35 PM
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I have a symbol that is suddenly displaying differently than it should.  The symbol property editor box shows the correct symbol, but when it is used in the map, it is conflating the symbol with another one for a different layer.  I tried closing and reopening, but it's still there.  Here is the dialog box alongside the actual symbol in the map.  It's a little hard to see, but in the middle there is another, smaller symbol.  It's easier to see when you create a point - the conflated symbol briefly appears before the correct one is added on top.  Is this a bug?  (this is not actually Pro, but ArcMap 10.5)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I'm still having this problem.  I'll add some detail.  This is what the symbol shows in the symbology pane: And this is what it looks like in the map :   

(Incidentally, when I made the symbol larger in the symbology pane, it only affected the original symbol size in the map: the conflated symbol stayed the same size.)

The smaller symbol in the middle is actually another symbol I use for another layer, but that layer doesn't seem to be involved in this problem.  

When I change the symbol size in the symbology pane, only the correct symbol changes in the map - the conflated one stays the same size.

When I create a feature, the conflated symbol shows up alone for a split second before the original symbol is added on top of it.

This is what shows up in the top portion of the attributes pane when I select by clicking on the point symbol.

But this is what shows up when I select by drawing a rectangle around the feature.

And yet I only have one layer called Cobbles in the map. 

I can't think of anything else to add.  If anyone can think of something I could check to figure out the problem, please let me know.  I might just go ahead and delete the layer, recreate it, and start over, since I only have a few features in it.

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I was able to simply recreate the features in a new shapefile.  Still, it's a weird problem, would love to know what the heck happened out of pure curiosity. 

0 Kudos