Can ArcGIS pro work on Chromebook?

01-09-2022 07:49 PM
Etraveler
New Contributor II

What about the Samsung - Galaxy Book Pro 360 15.6" AMOLED Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Evo Platform Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 1TB SSD?

Any chance ArcGIS pro will work on it?

I run the compatibility test and it says it could work except for 

CUDA COMPUTE
Requirement: CUDA support is not required to run ArcGIS Pro but is required to run specific tools. It can also accelerate some Spatial Analyst tools.
You have: No supported NVIDIA GPU detected

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Depends on what you want to do...

hopefully not much "deep learning"

Introduction to deep learning and point clouds—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The question becomes what are you willing to give up for what can't be afforded.  

And do you need portability?  Desktops with equivalent specs to portables are usually much cheaper.

ADDENDUM

If you want to do some gis, then search this community using "Chromebook", to get an idea what you can do... perhaps it is sufficient,  For example

Fun with GIS 300: GIS on a Chromebook - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Etraveler
New Contributor II

I am a PhD student and I am planning on taking a GIS class for my graduate program. I don't know much about GIS but from what you say I guess there will be some '' Deep learning''.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Then there would be no requirement for you to actually have a computer since universities would be obliged to provide facilities to complete the course OR provide it as a requirement in their course description.  Save yourself some money, if you are going to venture into "deep learning" on a regular basis, you will soon get an idea of what type of machine to spend your money on

... sort of retired...
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Pro only runs on Windows, see the system requirements. Chromebooks run ChromeOS. 

Though looking up the specs of your Samsung - Galaxy Book Pro 360, it's not a Chromebook, but a Windows laptop/notebook so it should run Pro, seems like it meets at least the minimum specs.