Area percentages of raster in a buffer zone

Jump to solution
03-01-2023 08:43 AM
Labels (2)
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

I want a table with the percentages of each land use class in a particular buffer zone. The land use class is a raster format. For example, in the picture, I would the area percentage red, the area percentage blue, the area percentage green etc... in the circular buffer zone. I have hundreds of these buffer zones so a table that lists these percentages by object ID would be ideal. 

I have tried 'zonal statistics by table' but I don't see individual percentages there only maximum, minimum etc... 

Also, I looked at 'Tabulate intersection' tool but my raster layer is not coming up an option to select. 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

what precision do you need?  You can hack it by multiplying by 100,1000 etc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think the simplest option would be https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/conversion/raster-to-polygon.htm (no_simplify) if your dataset isn't too large.  Then you can use Tabulate Intersection (as it only takes vectors).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This would be the most direct

Tabulate Area (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

Yes, tabulate area does seem to work thank you very much!

I do need the areas as percentages of the total area in the buffer zone but then I guess I can divide each value by the total area manually - unless you know of a way for the output to be percentage instead of area? 

0 Kudos
HopeHauptman
New Contributor III

The value data in the raster must be of type integer for this, yes? A problem is that mine is floating and rounding it by truncation would make the numbers meaningless. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

what precision do you need?  You can hack it by multiplying by 100,1000 etc.

0 Kudos
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Perfect! MUCH thanks. 

0 Kudos