ArcPro 2.8 Intersect Tool No Output with more than two inputs (same geometry)

05-19-2021 03:03 PM
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

Every time I try to run the intersect tool with more than two inputs all with the same geometry, there are no features in the output feature class. In arcmap I was able to run the intersect tool with 3 inputs, but I can't get the tool to work the same in Pro. I have tried re-ordering the feature classes in the TOC thinking that that might have something to do with it, but that didn't work.

Screenshot shows the intersect tool with the 3 inputs, and the opened output Attribute table.

CaitlinOlson_0-1621461503070.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The reason of not getting any output point feature, could be because there is no common intersection point among all the three line feature classes.

Think Location
0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

There are many points of intersection between the features. I can run the intersection tool on the two sets of features (i.e. Where cross sections intersect the streamline (237 points of intersection), then another intersection of where the structures intersect the streamline (41 points of intersection)) and that works just fine. But if I try to put all three in the same tool, I get nothing.

CaitlinOlson_0-1621536440987.png

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Intersection works on AND logic, where all the criteria should be true.

What happens when you do intersection between multiple polygons? You will only get the polygon part which is common for all the polygons.

Similarly, when you did an intersect with multiple line features, it tried to search for places which are common for all the three line features. Unfortunately, there is no common point between the three lines features that you used. That's why there is no output.

In case you want to get all the possible intersection points,  intersect two layers at a time, and append the results. You might want to automate the process using Python or Model Builder, if this is a frequent process.

Think Location
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/intersect.htm

You need an advanced license.   If you have one and it still doesn't work, then intersect A with B and A with C and B with C to see if there is something amiss with the coordinate systems or data types.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

I have the advanced licensing and it still doesn't work. Everything is coming from the same database too, and I did the separated intersections and everything worked fine, but still won't run the tool when all three are included.

0 Kudos