ArcGIS Pro XY to Point adding decimal places

04-04-2022 12:51 PM
Hailey_G
New Contributor II

I have a CSV file that has northings and eastings that I am trying to convert to points. The CSV table is set so that the coordinate only goes out to 3 decimal places. When I use the XY to Point analysis tool appears to be adding additional values to the right of the decimal point. For example, coordinate from CSV file is 175314.065, 265723.274, after running the XY to Point and calculating geometry on that, the coordinate shows: 175314.064961, 265723.27395. How to I prevent ArcGIS Pro from calculating the additional decimal places?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Hailey,

Change the data table field format to two decimal places by clicking on the layer in the table of contents, click on "data" tab, then click on the "fields", go to the x,y fields and change the field's numeric value to round to two decimal places. 

See this link with specific instructions: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000025170 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Hailey_G
New Contributor II

Thanks! I did this but it seems to be more of a display setting then an actual restriction on the number of decimal places. When I bring it into AutoCAD to verify the placement the decimals still show as continuing past 2 places. 

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

This tutorial suggests rounding the values:

https://geospatialtraining.com/using-arcgis-pros-field-calculator-with-python/ 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You didn't mention if you specified a coordinate system for the file.  Also, don't keep it as a csv/event theme, convert it to a featureclass in a file geodatabase with the required coordinate system so it get its full precision.

... sort of retired...
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

Are you able to share your csv file?  Is it possible that your data actually has coordinates out to 5 or more places, yet when viewed in Excel it is being rounded?