Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro: Label Settings Window Closes Before I'm Finished

06-06-2019 02:26 PM
deleted-user-M1PJmvnAl3Pp
New Contributor II

A coworker and I have experienced a possible bug regarding labeling settings in ArcGIS Pro. We are both on version 2.3.2 and run Windows 10 and 7 respectively. 

It manifests itself as follows:

1. Right click on a layer in the Contents pane and click on Labeling Properties....

2. Go to the Position tab (note: there is no Apply button at the bottom of this window). Change any setting. 

3. As soon as a single setting is changed, the change is applied, the Labeling Properties window closes, and is replaced with a window that says "Select a feature layer in the Contents pane".

This is really annoying because I cannot change multiple position settings at a time. I have to go to contents and get the Labeling Properties window open again, make a change, watch it close, and do it all over again to make a third change, and so on. 

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Tags (3)
20 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Based on the back and forth on this thread, it is probably a good time to get in touch with technical support:

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ryan and Blythe,

My name is Tom and I work on the Layout team.  We've had Contents pane (Layout View is the active view) problems similar to this that we believe we've addressed at version 2.4. So far, I've been unable to confirm this as I've been unable to reproduce the issue described above using version 2.3.2. Obviously, we are missing some key variable that the two of you (and possibly other users) have in your scenario.

Is it possible for either of you to share a project package in which you can reproduce the issue?  I could then test against this project using 2.4 to confirm that we have addressed the issue.

Thanks, 

Tom

BlytheSchembri1
New Contributor III

Hi Tom,

I've tried to create a project package but I get a General Function Failure error

Blythe

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Blythe, 

Thanks for the reply. It could be that the file is too large.  According to the help - https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-1104-uploading-files - files cannot be larger than 50 MB. 

Are you able to contact Esri Support? They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support.

Tom

0 Kudos
deleted-user-M1PJmvnAl3Pp
New Contributor II

Hi Tom,

So I opened the project where I was experiencing the issue and I can no longer reproduce it myself. I have not made any changes to the project. I've attempted to package the project, but it failed, even though the analysis checked out. The error log said "The dataset was not found." 

I can post if this happens again, but this looks like one of those tricky intermittent bugs. 

- Ryan

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ryan, 

Yes, this is an allusive one. Thanks for trying.

Tom

0 Kudos
LenoraDody
New Contributor II

Yes, I have been having this problem too and it took a few days to figure out how to google the right question. Please help. It happens on my computer and on our front desk computer that multiple use (single log in). My coworker does not have the issue on her computer but she does have it on the front desk. 

0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Lenora,

Are you seeing the same issue as described above?  where it only happens in layout view?

Please contact Technical Support with this information when you contact them at 

https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

thanks

wendy

0 Kudos
LenoraDody
New Contributor II

Yes, we only really work in layout view.

Lenora Dody

Information Systems Technician/GIS Analyst

SANGIS

858-874-7005

0 Kudos
LenoraDody
New Contributor II

Well, I just downloaded the update on both computers and ran some tests. The Arcpro update seems to have solved the problem!