Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro - Is it capable of doing a street intersection list like in this blog?

Jump to solution
06-04-2024 05:39 PM
LukeAllen1
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Wondering if any Pro users can help me here.

I am currently not using Pro but will soon be transitioning.

A big part of my workflow in ArcMap is creating a street intersection list. Historically I have followed this blog to the letter and it has worked great.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-desktop/analytics/more-adventures-in-overlay-creati...

Do you know if I can reproduce this same workflow in ArcGIS Pro?

I didn't know specifically whether it was possible to do the following part of the blog, I didn't see much on it in the ArcGIS Pro spatial join tool documentation;

https://downloads.esri.com/Blogs/analysis/IntersectionList/FieldMapSteps.png 

Thanks for any input!

Luke

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @LukeAllen1 

Thanks for your question - this is definitely possible in ArcGIS Pro.

It's a similar workflow, it will just look slightly different than what you see in that blog. The following blog should provide you with the steps for the first half of the workflow: How To: Create Points on Line Intersections in ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

Then you should be able to do a spatial join as the ArcMap documentation mentions - just instead of having the "Merge rule" settings, you'll just select "Concatenate" for your new field and choose what delimiter you'd like to separate the input values. You'll also want to select the street name field to sort out the field mapping on this page. Hopefully, this screenshot of my settings should help you (I've used that "Add Empty Field" option to add in the "Name" field):

IssyAmis_0-1717581580877.png

Happy to explain anything in further detail if needed!

Thanks,

Issy

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IssyAmis
Esri Contributor

Hi @LukeAllen1 

Thanks for your question - this is definitely possible in ArcGIS Pro.

It's a similar workflow, it will just look slightly different than what you see in that blog. The following blog should provide you with the steps for the first half of the workflow: How To: Create Points on Line Intersections in ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

Then you should be able to do a spatial join as the ArcMap documentation mentions - just instead of having the "Merge rule" settings, you'll just select "Concatenate" for your new field and choose what delimiter you'd like to separate the input values. You'll also want to select the street name field to sort out the field mapping on this page. Hopefully, this screenshot of my settings should help you (I've used that "Add Empty Field" option to add in the "Name" field):

IssyAmis_0-1717581580877.png

Happy to explain anything in further detail if needed!

Thanks,

Issy

LukeAllen1
New Contributor II

Thank you Issy! I'm, hoping to get ArcGIS Pro at home soon so will be playing around with it. Appreciate you taking the time to help!

0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

Hey all;

Using Intersect to create intersection points results in duplicate points at each intersection (just like Feature Vertices To Points does).  The output type is multipoint, not point.  So, you'd still need to delete the duplicate points and, possibly, convert the multipoint to points (unsure).

Ideally, the Feature Vertices To Points tool should have an option to output line endpoints without duplicates.  I submitted an Idea about this and if you get a chance, read it over and give it a Kudo.  I think the more Kudos an Idea gets, the more likely it will be implemented.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/feature-vertices-to-points-option-to-remove/idi-p/141...

LukeAllen1
New Contributor II

Thank you Dale I will definitely go and provide the Kudos! Also thank you for writing the original blog, its helped me in one of my work routines tremendously over the years 🙂

0 Kudos
Dale_Honeycutt
Occasional Contributor II

Yea, that blog has had a long life! Glad its helped you.  And thanks to IssyAmis for updating how the Spatial Join dialog works in Pro (it's really a lot better/intuitive)

0 Kudos