Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Pro - Calculate Geometry just does nothing, but says there is no error.

03-23-2020 12:16 PM
RitaHodges
New Contributor

I need to calculate the area of polygon features in my map. I've done this hundreds of times. For some reason now, when I run everything the same way that I always do, the field that I calculate area into just stays "0" and the tool says it successfully ran. I tested out calculating other geometry attributes, made sure that the field type was correct, deleted and recreated the field, tried it on multiple maps, and it just no longer does anything at all. I can measure area using the measure tool, but it would be inconvenient to have to trace my polygons.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
WilfredDarr
New Contributor II

Fresh project, Fresh download of ne_10m_admin_0_countries. It took 3 seconds this time but still didn't do anything (I did refresh the table but that didn't help either)...

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Wilf - try this instead - use the Calculate Field GP tool on the CalcArea field instead of the Calculate Geometry Attributes with the following code (!shape.area@squarekilometers!) for the Python3 expression.  What is the result?  0 or other numeric values?

0 Kudos
OuterReachBroadband
New Contributor

Was there ever a final answer to this?  I'm having a similar issue in ArcGIS Pro v10.  I have successfully run "calc geometry" on another feature for square miles, but for some reason these particular layers will not calculate for square miles.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hmm...the latest version of ArcGIS Pro is 2.9.2 rather than using the 10.x nomenclature.  What coordinate system are the layers that don't calculate to square miles?

0 Kudos