Adding zigzag line to polygon section (stuck)

07-01-2021 11:57 AM
Labels (3)
JoeDittmer
New Contributor II

I asked this question before and did not find a solution, I hope that with the progress I have made, someone can help. I’ve separated a polygon into three sections, and added centerline to each. I’m trying to add a line in a zigzag pattern with a 500m spacing between each zag. I’ve tried to add points on the shapes edge and the centerline, but still can’t quite grasp how to create this zigzag pattern without manually drawing it (trying to avoid this.)

I’ve attached images of the entire polygon, the section I’m currently working on, and an example of the zigzag. Please ignore the shown transect lines and random points. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Divide a polygon by a value—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation using equal widths? perhaps

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JoeDittmer
New Contributor II

I've tried that, but it does not seem to like the irregular shaped polygon.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

splitting it with a polyline fishnet (1 row, multiple columns) of an appropriate width probably won't help much either.  There really isn't a pattern to the zigzags that can be tied specifically to the geometry.  maybe a delaunay triangulation might reveal one if you have densified the centerline and the polygon edges

... sort of retired...
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I doubt you'll find anything that automatically makes such a pattern for you, but if you have the license for it, you may want to check out some of the TIN stuff. In particular, I'm thinking of Delauney Triangulation, which is used to generate TIN layers from points. Not exactly a zig zag, but maybe the best you can expect with an off-the-shelf GP tool.

jcarlson_0-1625168153851.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Do you have to store the pattern in a feature class or do you just want to symbolize the inside of your polygon in a zig-zag pattern?

If you need to store the feature classes you may be able to do this manually. Create points at equal intervals along your centerlines (Create point features along a line—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation). Create a line feature class. Snap the line to the centerline points. Repeat across your study area. 

Not perfect but you might be able to make something useable:

SarahHartholt_1-1625517361988.png

If you want a Patter Fill in arcpro you can format the polygon symbol. Choose add symbol layer and change the symbol to a v. Shift the x & y steps until you have something that resembles a zig zag

SarahHartholt_0-1625518234669.png