Absence of "Alternate Building Name" in "Create Locator" custom setting

Jump to solution
06-21-2021 03:06 AM
Labels (1)
Felix10546
New Contributor III

I am very pleased with the alternate option for street names, city names, zone names, ..... in the geoprocessing tool "Create Locator", especially there is a need for creating locator for multi-languages. 

However, I cannot find  where to reference the alternate name for Building Name which is in other language.(jpg1)

I read "Locator role fields" in https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/locator-role-fields.htm already and tried different choose for ROLE in Optional Parameter (jpg2, jpg3) but none of the contains attribute "Building Name" . 

Q1. Anyone know the workaround ?

Q2. Is there a table showing the 3-digit Language code that the locator tool adopt?  The document  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/locator-role-fields.htm just states it is a  3-digit code.

Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Felix,

1. A list of supported three-character language codes is available in the Supported Language Codes column referenced in the Geocode coverage map. A list of supported countries and codes is available in the Supported Country Codes column referenced in the Geocode coverage map.

2. The following help topic should help with creating a multicountry locator to help account for Building Name in another language. You will need to duplicate the feature so that the attributes of the features are in the appropriate language and includes the corresponding country code and language code, which is illustrated in the following help topic, https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/create-multicountry-locators-using-coun....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Felix,

1. A list of supported three-character language codes is available in the Supported Language Codes column referenced in the Geocode coverage map. A list of supported countries and codes is available in the Supported Country Codes column referenced in the Geocode coverage map.

2. The following help topic should help with creating a multicountry locator to help account for Building Name in another language. You will need to duplicate the feature so that the attributes of the features are in the appropriate language and includes the corresponding country code and language code, which is illustrated in the following help topic, https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/create-multicountry-locators-using-coun....

0 Kudos
Felix10546
New Contributor III

Shana,

Thank you very much for answering. Duplicating the features does help. I found geoprocessing tool "composite locator" solved my alternate building names problem. 

However, I have also tried entering Supported Language Codes column referenced in the Geocode coverage in the past but they are two-letter words where three-letter words are required for the Geoprocessing tool. 

E.g. I have to input ENG in the language code field instead of EN as suggested in the page.

In fact, I have no idea what aspect does the language code affect and I cannot determine whether my language code is correct or effective. 

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Felix:

The reference data used to build the locator in the Create Locator tool must use the three-character language code. Language is used to help format the output label where more than one language can be used in a country to represent addresses, as well as to identify where to apply language-specific geocoding logic to the reference data when building a locator. If language is included in the primary reference data used to build the locator, you can search for addresses or locations in the same country or region using multiple languages.

There is a screenshot of what the data should look like in the Create multicountry locators using country and language topic.

0 Kudos
Felix10546
New Contributor III

Shana,

Yea, I  have read through Create multicountry locators using country and language carefully now. Thanks for pointing out the information.

May I ask if you know any way to change the detection method in searching a address? I have an address consist of <street_name + street_num> <village_name + village_num > <house_name+house_num>

There are too many number fields include and I found the defined by user option doesn't provide enough number field that I required.

Is there any way to add more fields and specify their weighting, logic in search?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Felix,

What country or countries are you creating the locator for that has an address format of  <street_name + street_num> <village_name + village_num > <house_name+house_num> ?

0 Kudos