Turn off legend in charts

02-18-2021 06:24 PM
Labels (1)
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

When creating a chart in ArcGIS Pro, it would be handy if we could disable the legend component of the chart. It's not always necessary to have it displayed as the symbology can be setup to match the layers in the map which are then displayed in a dynamic legend as well. 

In the interim, we've made a workaround as per below;

1. Create Chart

2. Under Series, customise value symbols to match layer symbology

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1613700559573.png

3. Edit the Label to be a single space (i.e. " ") - deleting the Label outright results in the Value being used instead, thus the space. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_1-1613700594333.png

This will result in the chart looking like this;

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_2-1613700912423.png

4. Create a Rectangle Object in your layout, formatting it to have solid white fill and no border and drawing it over the top of the legend symbols circled above

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_3-1613700987993.png 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_5-1613701049835.png

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_4-1613701029698.png

This will result in the symbols being masked. I suggest grouping the rectangle and the chart in the Table of Contents to keep them paired and ordered correctly in the event you change things in your layout. 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_6-1613701111154.png

Obviously, it would be much easier if there was a setting in the Chart element properties pane that let us enable/disable the legend in the first place (example below). 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1613701668281.png

4 Comments
TomBole

Hi Lindsay, 

The chart legend is controlled by the chart and can be toggled off in the Chart View. 

Screenshot 2020-11-19 053457.png

All chart frames that reference this chart will either display or not display the chart's legend based on the state of this button.

Are you suggesting an additional option that allows separate control of the chart legend for the chart frame on the layout?  For example, the chart legend displays in the chart view, but not in the chart frame on the layout?

Thanks, 

Tom

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Setting to Needs Clarification per Tom's question: 

Are you suggesting an additional option that allows separate control of the chart legend for the chart frame on the layout?  For example, the chart legend displays in the chart view, but not in the chart frame on the layout?

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Thanks @TomBole and @KoryKramer  I feel we have overseen that button. I thought I'd clicked on every option. But if it exists, then great. I might still suggest what you've both inferred though so that you can control the legend for charts separately between chart frames in a layout and chart windows. I can see that being useful in its own right. If you mark this post as already implemented, I'll create a new suggestion with more clarity. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Already Offered

Thanks @LindsayRaabe_FPCWA  I saw the new idea that you posted and that is now Open.

Cheers