Restore ability in ArcGIS Pro to resize, adjust the width of, multiple table fields. BUG REPORT

09-28-2022 12:31 PM
Labels (1)
DavidWheelock2
Occasional Contributor II

Restore the ability of ArcGIS Pro to resize multiple table fields in one step.

This is a new BUG introduced at ArcGIS Pro 3.X.
Current version: 3.0.2

ArcMap X.X and ArcGIS Pro up to 2.9 and nearly all other apps have the following behavior
When you select multiple fields in a table, if you then resize one of the fields in the selection, then all of the selected fields will then be resized to the same width as the adjusted field, or if you double-click between two fields then all of the selected fields will adjust to best fit the width of the field contents.  This makes it possible to resize a whole table with a few mouse clicks.

Before resize, all fields wide:
mstsc_2022-09-28_14-01-09.png

After resize, all selected fields adjusted:  CORRECT
mstsc_2022-09-28_12-02-52.png

ArcGIS Pro 3.X breaks this behavior
Now, at 3.X if you select multiple fields and resize one of the fields in the selection, Pro only resizes that one field and fails to resize the other selected fields.  So, if you have a table with many fields, it can be very, very tedious and time-consuming to resize them appropriately.

After resize, only one selected field adjusted:  WRONG
mstsc_2022-09-28_14-10-51.png

5 Comments
KevinMantels

I really sympathize with this issue.  Since upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0 this is now my biggest pet peeve with Pro.  I would also like to see a fix to this.  

DavidWheelock2

@KoryKramer, here's a new one.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Hi @DavidWheelock2 I apologize that you ran into this. As you've pointed out, this is a regression bug as the functionality was there and was lost in the move to 3.x.

We have the following bug logged: [BUG-000152652: Cannot resize multiple fields at once from the table view]

EDIT: For users who are experiencing this issue, please go to https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDE1MjY1Mg== and click the Subscribe button. This will increment the count of affected users and set you up for notifications. 

Because this is a bug, I'm closing this "idea." Please refer to the ArcGIS Ideas Submission Guidelines and Statuses "2. No bugs please. Idea Exchanges are not the right place to log software bugs or crashes.  Keep in mind that just because it isn’t the right fit as an Idea does not mean that we aren’t here to help.  Bugs and crashes should be logged with Technical Support.  If working in ArcGIS Desktop/ArcGIS Pro, crashes can be reported by sending an error report. "

All that said, we'll get this fixed.

Thank you!

DavidWheelock2

Thanks @KoryKramer

I've been in ArcGIS Ideas since the beginning and didn't realize bugs weren't appropriate here.  I'll watch for that in the future.

Can you add me to the Bug report and post a link to it as an interested user so that I can check on its status?

Thanks,
David

KoryKramer

No worries, David. The bug can be found here https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDE1MjY1Mg== Click the Subscribe button which will set you up for notifications and also increment the count of affected customers in our tracking system.

Thanks!