ENC - S-57

10-29-2019 12:16 PM
Labels (1)
MarcelSt-Germain
Occasional Contributor III

In arcmap we can view ENC S-57 format.  

Do de same in Pro.  Waiting for the S-100 is not a choice for us since now, and for many years, S-57 stay in place.

Having to maintain arcmap just for that is not easy.

67 Comments
MarcelSt-Germain

I can't find the post but, I think it's for the maritime version of pro, not the basic one.  So for us, waiting to v3 to see if we can now move to pro or stick with arcmap.

CraigTGreene

@StephenHogg1  From the dowloand on this page:

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1d4d9f180abd4a528cea8f105240bb26

You can use the Maritime.mapx file. This is a template ArcGIS Pro map that contains a layer file with broken data links. Open the mapx file and click on the red exclamation point next to the top layer in the Contents pane and resource it to your geodatabase. All the other layers will automatically resource to this same geodatabase.

I should tell you upfront that this symbology is not meant to replicate S-52 or INT1, it is just there to help distinguish a buoy from a beacon from a rock, and land from water, etc. It is really meant to support editing for users that are doing production. So, whether or not this is sufficient for you depends on your use case. 

You may also need some fonts from me, so let me know if you see some symbols displaying as Arial font instead of a light flare, for example. Windows does a font replacement when it can't find the font it's looking for...so again, if you see something odd like that, let me know and I can send you the fonts. 

Send me an email at maritime@esri.com if you have more questions or want to quickly describe your use case so I can provide you the best answer.

MarcelSt-Germain
Hi,

Looks good, it’s open OK in Pro. But, since it’s use some font that aren’t in the arcmap viewer, It will be appreciated if you can send them to make a template more readable. I do not need to replicate S-52

Thanks again for your time.
CraigTGreene

@MarcelSt-Germain , please email me (Craig Greene) at maritime@esri.com.

I will provide you with a zip file containing the fonts. 

MarcelSt-Germain

Again, nothing in v3 so still need two project arcmap and pro to do the job. 

ScottWReeves

In my office, we are using the viewer in Desktop everyday.  We're not going to be able to fully move to Pro until we have the capability there as well. So looking forward to the capability.

I will add having to flatten the folder structure to see updates is a bother.  Using python to shift the files around helps, but I'd rather see all the updates regardless of which method the producer chooses to store them.  Maybe if we were to point to the most recent update instead of the .000, it could more easily navigate the folder structure.

TomDePuyt

@ScottWReeves Does your office also receive/produce exchange sets with a catalog.031 file to load?

DrusillaMorgan

We really need this tool. No one really wants to move to Pro without it. 

TWallace63

The Marine Chart Division currently uses the S-57 Viewer in ArcMap in our source registry and production teams. We need to have the S-57 Viewer fully integrated into ArcGIS Pro. The Viewer is used in the workflow when we register source that allows us to manage the geospatial content of the data. The Production teams need to be able to view our ENC in its native format as the mariner views it. Thanks

KFaz
by

Watching this thread carefully in hopes that there is a solution soon for ArcPro.  I need to view specific S-57 .ooo files easily, formatted and symbolized properly, and be able to overlay other data.  The NOAA ENC service only provides current chart data, not discrete chart files stamped at specific past dates that I need to use.  Since I am not producing charts, I don't believe I should have to purchase ArcGIS Maritime, especially when everyone is used to using a free viewer from ArcMap.  I'm honestly blown away that this simple capability is not included in ArcPro, seems like a major oversight.

@GuyNoll any updated info on when this will be available?  

Thanks!